21:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

How often do you travel by train?

View Poll Results: How often do you travel by train?
I am a regular commuter. 8 17.78%
At least once a week. 7 15.56%
At least once a month. 17 37.78%
At least once a year. 7 15.56%
Never. 6 13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th March 2008, 09:58

walk on fares are iffy at best, my brother lives 200+ miles away if I buy a direct ticket (discounted for a pass) I end up spending twice the price than if I buy two tickets for the same journey and I don't even cross london!

That said I prefer the railway to any other form of transit.

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 20th March 2008, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
In a separate thread David Hicks asked members to nominate their "TOC of the Year"
Well Northern, Merseyrail, First Great Western and South West Trains aren't held with high regard. In my opinion CrossCountry, London Midland and National Express East Coast are too new to be named TOC of the year. So while that leaves quite a few companies it might be that people don't travel on those operators frequently enough to be able to nominate them.

I used to use a Northern Rail service every weekday, but now use the train about 3 times over a fortnight. I probably would use the train less if I wasn't eligible for a railcard.
Old 8th April 2009, 15:16
SOUTHEASTERN-465

im a fan of class 465s and my user names southeastern-465 but i wouldnt recomend them for 'toc of the year' as fog hut as already said but i would recomend southern!

Last edited by SOUTHEASTERN-465; 8th April 2009 at 15:59.
Old 8th April 2009, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblewrap View Post
Being unemployed I can't go on the train as often as I would like.
I went to Nottingham just before Christmas @ £6.10p return I think is a little pricey for about 15 miles each way.
It's 15 months since I posted the above I am now 60 & have a bus pass the bus stop for the south Notts service for Nottingham is at the end of my street.
I can use my bus pass to get half fare on the trains to Nottingham,Leicester,Derby,Peterborough,Nuneaton,G rantham & Market Harborough. The railway station is at the other end of my street
Old 8th April 2009, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstudent View Post
In my opinion CrossCountry, London Midland and National Express East Coast are too new to be named TOC of the year. .
And too bad !!!!

I would nominate Transpennine and Wrexham and Shropshire, but I don't use either of them regularly.
Old 8th April 2009, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblewrap View Post
south Notts service for Nottingham is at the end of my street.
If only ! Unfortunately South Notts haven't existed as a separate company since 1991 !!
Old 9th April 2009, 20:34
Station Manager

I have to admit to using a car for most of my travels. The reason is that there are no trains to the towns I visit most. Tetbury has no trains at all and no buses from Bristol, Glastonbury and Wells have no trains, the bus runs to these towns but I could fill my tank with the cost of the fares for the wife and myself. Portishead and Clevedon both have no trains as does Thornbury. I could catch a train to Bristol Parkway or Chipping Sodbury and then a taxi to Thornbury, but the taxi alone would cost over £18. Sorry guys but I have to use a car.
Old 9th April 2009, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midland Compound View Post
If only ! Unfortunately South Notts haven't existed as a separate company since 1991 !!
Yes I know they are now owned by Nottingham city Transport but the buses still have South Notts on them.
The buses are painted Green rather than blue & purple.
The depot at Gotham is still in use and the South Notts name is still on the depot wall.
And people round here sill refer to them as South Notts
Old 29th April 2009, 20:02

When I have a spare weekend day I go trainspotting on the ECML. But because my station is on a quiet branch line I have to get on a train to go trainspotting. But because I have a busy life I only get round to doing it about once a month.
Old 29th April 2009, 20:52

I usually travel off peak to London on First Great Eastern National Express Anglia Coaches or whatever it is called now! on business or leisure. I drove across London from Chelmsford to Chiswick last Christmas hols and not only did I try following the satnav but gave up trying to spot traffic cameras instead of traffic lights or bus lanes - it was absolutely hideous (when I first started work I would drive my 100E down the A13 to London every day for a year so I used to know the roads very well, but now it has been altered beyond recognition) I am sure it is a greater plan to make the roads so impossible to drive that you must use public transport to preserve your sanity. Mind you, there is always the chance of catching yet another virus during the trip to spread round home and office - even if the train is air conditioned!