22:01

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

How often do you travel by train?

View Poll Results: How often do you travel by train?
I am a regular commuter. 8 17.78%
At least once a week. 7 15.56%
At least once a month. 17 37.78%
At least once a year. 7 15.56%
Never. 6 13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th December 2007, 20:45

How often do you travel by train?

In a separate thread David Hicks asked members to nominate their "TOC of the Year"
Because the response has been fairly slow it got me thinking. "How many of our members actually travel by train?........just because we have an interest in railways doesn't mean we use them!!"
Just for curiosity please take a few minutes to respond to the poll that I have set up. Your identity will not be divulged and there's no need to make any comments as the results of the poll should say it all
Please DON'T include trips on heritage railways or on special enthusiast trains. I am just talking about regular service trains operated by a TOC.
Thanks.

Old 29th December 2007, 21:12

Well I commute on SouthEastern but I sure as hell won't recommend them ... not for 'TOC of the year' anyway
Old 29th December 2007, 21:37

Being unemployed I can't go on the train as often as I would like.
I went to Nottingham just before Christmas @ £6.10p return I think is a little pricey for about 15 miles each way.

Last edited by Bubblewrap; 8th April 2009 at 22:47.
Old 30th December 2007, 00:07

My two trips to Keighley this year were the first time I've travelled by train for over a decade. The first trip was great, everything on time and no problems. The second trip coincided with engineering works between Leeds and Shipley so we had to travel on coaches between the two destinations. It shortened our time in Keighley, which was a bit disappointing, but in general I've been quite impressed with the service and the price. Admittedly, we booked our tickets many weeks in advance which was how we kept the price down. Has the 'turn up and go' principle at an affordable price been abandoned?
Old 30th December 2007, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
................... Has the 'turn up and go' principle at an affordable price been abandoned?
Yes Trev. Apart from local journeys I think it has.
When I am waiting in the queue at Warrington Bank Quay I quite often overhear someone buying a "walk on" tickets to some distant place. Most of them are obviously on company business as they don't bat an eyelid when the fare is given but for the rest of us I'm convinced that ticket office staff should be trained in resuscitation
Old 30th December 2007, 13:51

I travel every day mainley by Merseyrail (Northern Line) alotogh a relible service the trains are allways crowded all day long 3 coach trains in peak times.

And the fares go up next year what do we get for our extra money for me it is an extra £1.20 a week on my season ticket will io even get a space for my bike for that or even a seat on the 08.22 train from Blundelsands and Crosby.

Even traveling by Northern Rail you can be squashed in like a sardeen no wonder people what to travel by car for me i have no choice but to travel by Train & Bike.

The truth is that this courntry is backwards as i belive if we had a king instead of a queen then things would get better especially the railways as in anothe year or two we arn't going to get any were by train as all these 20 & 30year old DMU's and EMU's arn't going to be abnle to move they will be compleatley failled as they can't cope with the stress they are put under.

TOC's constantly trying to revive old stock with very little money the next thing will be the roads will be that conjested the roads will be at a stand still and trains won't be able to move becuase they will all be knackered clapped out the buses the same and the whle country will be at a stand still unless the Person at the very top steps down.
Old 31st December 2007, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Yes Trev. Apart from local journeys I think it has.
When I am waiting in the queue at Warrington Bank Quay I quite often overhear someone buying a "walk on" tickets to some distant place. Most of them are obviously on company business as they don't bat an eyelid when the fare is given but for the rest of us I'm convinced that ticket office staff should be trained in resuscitation
That's my feeling completely. How long before we have to check in luggage? Remember the fact that the Duke of Wellington objected to the railway as it would encourage the lower orders to travel?

Sometimes I really do despair.
Old 31st December 2007, 01:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
The truth is that this courntry is backwards as i belive if we had a king instead of a queen then things would get better especially the railways as in anothe year or two we arn't going to get any were by train as all these 20 & 30year old DMU's and EMU's arn't going to be abnle to move they will be compleatley failled as they can't cope with the stress they are put under.
John, what would a gender change of the monarchy have to do with it?
Old 4th January 2008, 20:13

I suppose I travel about once a month. Mostly on business, so I dont worry about the walk-on fares. But when it's my money I give the National Rail Enquiries webpage some very serious study.
Old 6th January 2008, 11:40

I travel between Manchester and the East Midlands every so often, and I usually travel by rail and local journeys to town (ends up being cheaper and quicker than the bus).