16:45

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Virgin Trains.

Old 15th August 2012, 08:23

Virgin Trains.

Announced this morning - Virgin Trains have lost the contract to run the WCML to First Group. I don't know much about FG but Virgin says they will be in financial trouble after offering too much money for the franchise.
FG admitted they will probably have to make staff cuts and close some ticket office's --- has anyone an opinion on this subject?

Old 15th August 2012, 09:28

I find this astonishing. Surely the contract terms include a commitment to maintaining the existing level of service, or improving it. Closing ticket offices is a reduction in service, isn't it? And how can they run the same number of trains with fewer staff?
Old 15th August 2012, 10:24

The government minister for transport appeared on T.V.this morning and she has promised that there will be more trains, more seats available and a far better service all round and that our lives will be much the better for the change.
Have I missed something here? Is there an election due!!!
Old 15th August 2012, 12:58

I quote Richard Branson in a news article this morning
In his blog, Sir Richard voiced fears that the amount FirstGroup paid will make the contract unprofitable, forcing the Government to take back ownership of the line. This is what happened with the East Coast Main line, when first GNER (in 2007) and then National Express (in 2009) were stripped of the contract after they could not afford to pay the Government £1.3bn for the right to run the service.

"[Our] achievements have counted for little – as this is the fourth time that we have been outbid in a rail tender," Sir Richard wrote. "On the past three occasions, the winning operator has come nowhere close to delivering their promised plans and revenue, and has let the public and country down dramatically.

"In the case of the East Coast Main line, both winners – GNER and National Express - over-promised in order to win the franchise and spectacularly ran into financial difficulties in trying to deliver their plans. The East Coast is still in Government ownership and its service is outdated and underinvested, costing passengers and the country dearly as a result.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. When will the Department for Transport learn?

With the cost of rail travel set to rise above inflation yet again this form of transport will soon become the transport of the rich anyway!!! Boy are we in a mess!!!!
Regards
Phil
Old 15th August 2012, 14:36
Station Manager

If you look back at the problems we had in the West country, especial around Bristol with overcrowding, late running and cancelled trains, heaven help the WCML. We had passenger strikes and the train crews did their best only to have all the complaints fall on deaf ears. It took threats from the government to get thing turned around, but it is still a poor service compared to that of BR's last days here.
As for their bus services, well it takes so long to do a 7 mile trip that workers who use the bus spend a full day every week just sitting on a bus travelling to and from work.
Old 15th August 2012, 14:49

This situation was forecasted by the Rail Unions, but were laughed at.
The only people who made owt out of privatisation is the legal brigade.
I worked through 3 Rail companies in my time on the railways, and saw the devestation brought on by these companies, closure/sackings/bully boy tatics et al.
I have even been told that a worker was diciplined for wearing the wrong company uniform.
While the locomotives and rolling stock are branded in the last companies name in big red letters.
Bully boys still at large it seems.
Nothing changes.
Old 15th August 2012, 18:13

Virgin Trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G.F.A.N. View Post
The government minister for transport appeared on T.V.this morning and she has promised that there will be more trains, more seats available and a far better service all round and that our lives will be much the better for the change.
Have I missed something here? Is there an election due!!!
Politicans couldn't tell the truth if hell had them.
Old 15th August 2012, 20:37

I thought wrongly that privatisations would take the railways out of the hands of politicians but not the case so here we go again with senseless decisions. Virgin have proved their worth as a company and stayed with West Coast through diffficilt times and invested in new trains. First Western have taken the 'Great' out of a once reliable company with bad punctuality and problems around Bristol etc as mentioned by a previous contributor. Perhaps it is a back door to nationalization by polititians repeating wrong decisions as Silver Fox Phil observes.
Old 15th August 2012, 20:46

It angers me that the politicians put money first instead of the travelling public. Dont thet realise that when FG fail to deliver their promises that it will be the taxpayer that has to bail them out again. I would not blame Sir Richard Branson if he did not take them back and pulls out of the railways. 15 years he has been running them and in my opinion he has done a good job.

Alan
Old 15th August 2012, 22:20

is it just me or is the railways in a mess a company can bid on a franchise on a idea that they can make so much money ruining it over a set time? well not knowing how many poor so and so's might still have a job next week nether mind in the years to use it and still have to pay the share holders there money.
oh no sorry the government can pay them with the subs and bailout that might happen in the end so is it not just a case of money going round in circles

thinking about it keeps people in work all the rolling stock will need a repaint and hornby can realise thier 125 under a different colour

would nationalization be a step forward or would it just make things worse?