03:10

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Train Reversal into Terminus

Old 14th July 2006, 21:02

In Hungary (Budapest to be precise) ECS is usually propelled into the platform with a shunter on the step of the lead coach giving instructions to the driver by radio. When some international trains are re-marshalled coaches with passengers on board are often taken out of the station and then reversed back onto the appropriate train taking them onwards, again a shunter in control from the step.

Old 16th July 2006, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by patlucas
I beleive that in Paris Auzterlitz, after arrival the loco is detached from the train and advances a few meters. A new loco then comes and is coupled to the other end of the train to form the departing service. Once the train has departed, the track is free for the original loco to leave the station towards some sidings where it will await its next train. Quite economical!
This was standard practice at Zurich Hbf up until a few years ago, I recall watching numerous locomotives standing off in the yards waiting to instructed to go to the head of their train. It can still be observed to some degree but mainly limited now to Cisalpino services.
Old 16th July 2006, 21:31

The process described by PATLUCAS is the standard practice in all European Countries, I believe. The original loco would not necessarily go to its next duty, but straight to the depot if off duty.
As for the Cisalpino services mentioned by ALBULA, let's say there are two kinds: 1. Cisalpino emu which of course are reversible; 2. Rake of coaches which are not fitted with "Multiple Unit" controls, and must be loco-hauled.
Old 19th November 2006, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by patlucas
I beleive that in Paris Auzterlitz, after arrival the loco is detached from the train and advances a few meters. A new loco then comes and is coupled to the other end of the train to form the departing service. Once the train has departed, the track is free for the original loco to leave the station towards some sidings where it will await its next train. Quite economical!
There's an another system. The loco is detached fron the train and advances a few meters. It take an small switch, the loco is found on the way right at side and it go to an another switch for going in front of the train.
This system is used in off-peak hours. This is rare, but that exists
Old 19th November 2006, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gros-beta
There's an another system. The loco is detached fron the train and advances a few meters. It take an small switch, the loco is found on the way right at side and it go to an another switch for going in front of the train.
This system is used in off-peak hours. This is rare, but that exists
gros-beta,
This system using a "runround loop" was once very common in Great Britain but now there are only a few places where it is used.
It is a very slow operation and requires expensive pointwork (switches).
Old 20th November 2006, 12:53

Take me back to when I remember seeing a class 47 reversing towards the other end of it's Virgin Trains stock at Piccadilly many years ago. Very unlikely to get that again unless there is a single loco hauled charter.
Old 19th March 2007, 13:16

slightley different, but in Killarney Co Kerry the train from Dublin arrives, decants/picks up passengers, then reverses out of the station and "turns right" before continuing its journey to Tralee....in the opposite direction, it passes the station and reverses in to the platform...

Limerick Junction (20 odd miles from Limerick and more or less in Tipperary actually) once upon a time EVERY train had to reverse at some stage....some still have to I think.
Old 17th July 2007, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
The observation coach used on the West Highland betwen Fort William and Mallaig was turned on the turntable. There are several published photos showing this .
Having just watched the Dvd "west Highland " i can confim the tail end observation car was turned manually on aT/T . very nice film this one by the way/
Old 27th July 2007, 13:26

Not so long ago, on a 158 from Kyle to Inverness, the train went past Inverness then reversed back into the station. The conductor made an announcement to this effect, as it was going to form the next Elgin / Aberdeen service.

signol