22:10

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Help from the experts please

Old 18th September 2013, 09:41

Question Help from the experts please

Hi,

I am looking to buy a house near a train line and i would like some advice please. I would like to know if there is any heavy freight passing through the area that I should know about as I heard this can be annoying when heard inside the house and I have no idea where to search for this information! Essentially the house is located in Harpenden at these points if searched by entering into google maps:

51.800256,-0.340278

Any tips or if this section of rail is bad for other reasons would be most welcome.

Thanks

Last edited by siouxchief; 18th September 2013 at 09:55.
Old 18th September 2013, 19:07

That line looks very much like the main line into London from Luton.
As such I would expect a 24 hour 7 day a week service and also unlike most of the rest of the network it also operates through Christmas as well.
Just checked Realtime trains Advanced for Harpenden and selected 0000 - 2359 for time scale this gives all trains through the 24 hours.
There are more than a few.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sear...=all&order=wtt

http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/
Old 19th September 2013, 11:25

It looks like the four track Midland main line. East Midlands Trains run expresses from St.Pancras via Leicester, Derby, Notiingham to Sheffield. First Capital Connect run stopping trains into London and fast Thameslink trains to Brighton. They will be running at 80 to 125mph.

With all that there isnt much room for goods trains, even though they will be running at speed. They will tend to run at night

I live near the line further north and there isnt much difference between passenger and freight. However the line is in a cutting, whereas the example you show appears to be on the level. However there seems to be a screen of trees to reduce airborne noise and the houses are a little distance away so ground vibraton should not be excessive.

In the end it depends how sensitive you are. Some aren't bothered, others get used to it. Rarely they have to give up and move away. I've lived within earshot of the line all my life and I find it a comfort.

Last edited by wyvern; 19th September 2013 at 11:44.