11:56

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Old 16th April 2018, 10:31

Trains across Britain missed stops 160 times a day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43701210

I never realised it was done deliberately.

Old Yesterday, 05:07

G'day Philip,
The UK is not alone in this caper.
Though, the smog hollow Sydney suburban system normally runs very well.
Late running can occur.
We call it a Transposition when Train Control alters the stopping pattern of a train.
This usually occurs out on the West to make all stoppers into express.
Can't have the rich North Shore cattle delayed.
So, Westies miss out as a consequence.
The trains from Penrith (Emu Plains) wandering over the Coathanger and up the Shore to Hornsby.
Mind you, sometimes the hogger makes a mistake and misses a stop by accident.
That cops him a bung (please explain) and a $100.oo fine.
One of the classic excuses many moons ago, when a driver missed a stop, HE told the irate passenger that there had been a bomb scare.
The passenger was so thankful that she wrote to SRA management praising the driver.
Naturally, that driver then got into heaps of trouble.
But, I did think that his impromptu excuse was rather good.
HA!
Steve.
Old Yesterday, 08:36

Thanks Steve.

Is it me, or has a post gone missing ? (it was from BW)
Old Yesterday, 08:49

Hi Philip and a/s.

Sometimes it has to be this way.

A late running stopping service can cause enormous disruption. If it has a fast service behind it, then it might take all day to sort out the 'ripple effect' of delays spreading through the system.

There are chits which are handed to drivers - a 'Special Not To Stop' notice tells him/her where they don't call.

Conversely it's common to get following trains to stop additionally so they can pick up passengers who've been missed out. For this a 'Special Stop' notice is used. This is done discretionally by operations control in such a way that that it doesn't worsen delays -hopefully.

And yes, I forgot to stop at a station once (doesn't everybody, eventually ?). And likewise I made an announcement about low-adhesion being a reason. Unfortunately, unknown to me was the Network Rail regional manager sitting directly behind my cab in the First Class compartment. Didn't expect that at 3 am on a Sunday morning !

About 45 minutes later the signaller called me. He was laughing and said that 'it didn't come from him, but somebody very high up had alledged that I hadn't called at a station'. Because everything you say to signallers is recorded, I just apologised and said I'd meant to call him and inform him, but I got distracted.

Big rollocking for me then when I got back to base. Tut Tut. Having a safety incident AND failing to declare it. Weewee in a cup and a recorded interview. Shucks. That damn 'Fail to call' is still on my licence 15 years later. What really sucks is that nobody even wanted to get on or off there.

Still what the hell. Nobody died and I didn't lose my job.

Some you win, and some you lose.

Cheers, BW.

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; Yesterday at 08:51.
Old Yesterday, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Thanks Steve.

Is it me, or has a post gone missing ? (it was from BW)
Hi Philip. Yes it has. I posted a rant, and then decided later that I should self-moderate.

My big beef over the modern railway is how the bean counters and politicians have created such a financially wasteful and logistically insane mess. BR had many faults, but I think that what replaced it is far more wasteful and that the tax payer is being deceived and robbed. Insidiousness has replaced incompetence.

In retrospect, I think the right place to discuss this is face-to-face amongst a small group of people, ideally in a place with beer.

We manage to keep this great forum free from politics, and whilst I feel strongly that politicans (of all parties) are responsible for much of the madness on the railway, I appreciate that everybody has a different opinion and it would be great shame to start a bun fight on here.

Cheers, BW

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; Yesterday at 09:35.
Old Today, 00:16
Station Manager

Have to agree with you BW. Lets keep the politicians and their politics off of this great site. No bun fights please.
Old Today, 07:48

Yes, those places with beer are one of my most favourite locations.
I make it policy to sample what is on offer when I venture to anywhere new.
Though, one must be careful of them boys in blue hiding in their car just around the corner.
Steve.