15:02

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Station Cafes

Old 24th September 2006, 19:29
Station Manager

Not on a station but there is a good snack bar at Reading if you go out of the main doors it's about 300 yards on the right by the bus stops.
I think it was run by the sally army some time ago,good food and not to pricey.
All the best,Ian.

Old 25th September 2006, 20:30
Station Manager

Temple Mead's in Bristol is not bad, and they have a bar as well. Food is not too pricey and there is a good choice. They make a dam good coffee when you are cold and wet. Seats inside and out on the platform, so you can watch the trains.
Syd
Old 26th September 2006, 16:44
Station Manager

Grindleford Station Cafe used to be great in the traditional sence. Big steaming mugs of tea..... a great favourite with climbers and walkers visiting that part of Derbyshire but not often by train!
Old 26th September 2006, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011
Seats inside and out on the platform, so you can watch the trains.
You can't do that in Hull Paragon. The buffet is miserably set in the far north eastern corner, about as far away from the trains that you can get.
Old 27th September 2006, 10:07

I like the one in Manchester Victoria, since there was no trolley on the Calder Valley services when I travelled to Doncaster back in August, I bought a tea at a palce in the station to take with me, really nice and only 95p.
Old 27th September 2006, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks
I like the one in Manchester Victoria........
David, It's ages since I was last at Manchester Victoria. Is the big buffet still open in the old Lancashire & Yorkshire part of the station? It was a really impressive room.
John.
Old 27th September 2006, 20:27

I have seen a quite classic looking area near the first northbound platform (think it had stylish coloured windows). I think it was a place you could get food and drink but I wasn't sure if it was open so I don't know what is in there. Situated near the vending machines.

While on the subject of the Vic Vending machines, they look quite dodgy, one was covered with a piece of cardboard, the other I later tried, after inserting money and pressing the button what I wanted the bottom part of the machine kept moving but nothing else was happening. So I didn't get my water. Wonder if these will get replaced.
Old 27th September 2006, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks
I have seen a quite classic looking area near the first northbound platform (think it had stylish coloured windows). I think it was a place you could get food and drink but I wasn't sure if it was open so I don't know what is in there. Situated near the vending machines.

While on the subject of the Vic Vending machines, they look quite dodgy, one was covered with a piece of cardboard, the other I later tried, after inserting money and pressing the button what I wanted the bottom part of the machine kept moving but nothing else was happening. So I didn't get my water. Wonder if these will get replaced.
If I remember correctly (which I probably don't ) the entrance to the old buffet was somewhere below the large Lancashire and Yorkshire mosaic tiled map.
I don't think we will ever have reliable vending machines in this country while there are people intent on abusing them. There is such a thing as a vending machine that works first time every time but they are few and far between in the U.K.
John.
Old 27th September 2006, 22:05

I was going to recommend the station cafe (Bahnhofbuffet) at Kandersteg in Switzerland but I'm not sure if Rösti or Berner Wurstel is acceptable grub to other forum members
Instead, for freshly cooked meals made with local produce at a reasonable price I can thoroughly recommend the station cafe at Dalegarth on the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway.
John.
Old 29th September 2006, 19:44

Worcester Foregate Street is quite odd. At the end of the platform, almost on the bridge, trains pass with minimum clearances. Simple food, seems "home made". Birmingham New Street - I haven't a good word to write ! Ipswich has one of a national chain serving quite decent rolls etc, and a kiosk doing decent hot drinks. Peterborough platforms 4/5 I have visited frequently - cafe and kiosk members of national chains, decent stuff.
Liverpool Street wide variety of national chain outlets, pretty good standards.