16:29

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

manchester metrolink

Old 25th April 2010, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
There is the Navigation road bottle neck which is an enourmous problem for train and tram. If you ask me you need four platforms at that station too. Until then neither metrolink or mid cheshire line services can reach their full potential.
I can't see that happening. The Metrolink platform at Navigation Rd is right up against a car garage and the rail platform backs on to a private residence. There is also the issue of the road with level crossing right next to the station. A level crossing with 4 lines going across it would be very unusual and impractical and there is a further level crossing by Deansgate Junction. This is probably why the original rail line went from 4 lines at Timperley to 2 at Navigation Road, back to 4 at Altrincham.

The best way for reaching full potential would be to use a mix of tram, trains and tram-trains. This would allow services between Stockport and Chester to continue at the same rate via normal train. A 12 minute frequency could operate between Altrincham platform1/2 and Bury by tram and a 12 minute frequency by tram-train between Altrincham platforms 3/4 and Central Manchester with alternate tram-trains continuing to Northwich. However, for that to be successful both train tickets and tram tickets would need to be accepted on tram-trains.

Old 25th April 2010, 14:22

I think there was a seminar recently on bringing tram-trains to Britain.
I take a guess that if tram trains were used in this circumstance, they would have both a dieslel engine and a 750 V pantograph. I would quite like to see this, but I only hope they use decent liveries.
Old 25th April 2010, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstudent View Post
A level crossing with 4 lines going across it would be very unusual and impractical and there is a further level crossing by Deansgate Junction.
There is a level crossing going over six tracks near Peterborough ! My friend got stuck there for 20 minutes once.
Old 26th April 2010, 04:28

I believe there is a six-tracker at Exeter St. Davids.
Old 27th April 2010, 09:36

Quote:
The best way for reaching full potential would be to use a mix of tram, trains and tram-trains. This would allow services between Stockport and Chester to continue at the same rate via normal train. A 12 minute frequency could operate between Altrincham platform1/2 and Bury by tram and a 12 minute frequency by tram-train between Altrincham platforms 3/4 and Central Manchester with alternate tram-trains continuing to Northwich. However, for that to be successful both train tickets and tram tickets would need to be accepted on tram-trains.
Just thinking about this I think it should go to 10 minute frequencies if this was to happen to allow even intervals in tram-trams going to Northwich but then not to send too many tram-trains to Northwich (one every 20 minutes.)

The trams and tram-trains would also need to run to a stricter schedule so that at stops like Altrincham you can say:

xx:00, xx:10, xx:20, xx:30, xx:40, xx:50 to Central Manchester platform 3
xx:05, xx:15, xx:25, xx:35, xx:45, xx:55 to Bury platform 1
Old 27th April 2010, 13:19

Quote:
Just thinking about this I think it should go to 10 minute frequencies if this was to happen to allow even intervals in tram-trams going to Northwich but then not to send too many tram-trains to Northwich (one every 20 minutes.)

The trams and tram-trains would also need to run to a stricter schedule so that at stops like Altrincham you can say:

xx:00, xx:10, xx:20, xx:30, xx:40, xx:50 to Central Manchester platform 3
xx:05, xx:15, xx:25, xx:35, xx:45, xx:55 to Bury platform 1
Can I just throw something else into the mix, when the "line of sight" operation comes into use on the city centre section would this not affect the chances of running to a strict scheduled?
Also can you see Network Rail allowing Tram-Trains to run on the same lines as heavy freight trains?

Cheers John.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB-245584/2 View Post
Can I just throw something else into the mix, when the "line of sight" operation comes into use on the city centre section would this not affect the chances of running to a strict scheduled?
Also can you see Network Rail allowing Tram-Trains to run on the same lines as heavy freight trains?

Cheers John.
A proper tram-train is able to run on the same line as DMUs and freight trains, as well as street sections. The tram-train trial between Rotherham and Sheffield will be running on the same line as freight.

The strict schedule would need to apply between Timperley and Northwich. Currently part of the reason for a flexible schedule departing from Altrincham at present is if the next tram arrives early it is ready to take over at platform 1 so the previous tram needs to leave. Using different platforms at Altrincham and both lines through Navigation Road would allow a stricter schedule. Southbound tram-trains arriving early can be held at Altrincham or earlier. Trams-trains departing Northwich can be made to wait until it's time for their departure.

Network Rail do operate signalling for both trams and trains from Deansgate Junction. A signallers strike would have seen a replacement bus service running between Timperley and Altrincham for this reason.
Old 28th April 2010, 17:26

Replace the level crossing with an underpass.
Speeds up Rail, Tram, Pedestrians and Cars at the same time!
Old 29th April 2010, 16:30

For tram trains to work in this case, there would have to be point rearrangements at Altrincham and at Skelton junction. Anyone know where we could see an artists impression of a british tram-train?
Old 29th April 2010, 17:56

Apart from the PPM60 which is already running I dont think any images of british tram-trains have been produced.