17:30

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

End of the line for EWS?

Old 17th June 2008, 11:21

Further to my original post in this thread, here's some pics of the latest EWS loco to come out of the paint shops. The red is darker than the normal EWS red and once again there's no mention at all of EWS anywhere on the loco.

The word is that very soon, all train staff will soon by issued with a brand new uniform, and the EWS brand will not be on it.

Cheers. Ewan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60040-1.jpg (63.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 60040-2.jpg (66.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 60040-3.jpg (63.8 KB, 18 views)

Old 17th June 2008, 12:42

Not to be of poor taste but isn't there something ironic about a British locomotive carrying the German national railway logo and a British Army banner?

Sign of the times I suppose.
Old 17th June 2008, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
Not to be of poor taste but isn't there something ironic about a British locomotive carrying the German national railway logo and a British Army banner?
Possibly, but you would be hard put to find a county that the British [or English] Army hasn't fought at sometime in our history
Old 17th June 2008, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post
Possibly, but you would be hard put to find a county that the British [or English] Army hasn't fought at sometime in our history

I think you'll find that the first and second world wars were probably about the only times in our history that we've been at war with Germany. Since the second world war we've been brothers in arms with them, especially during the cold war.

Cheers. Ewan.
Old 18th June 2008, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
I think you'll find that the first and second world wars were probably about the only times in our history that we've been at war with Germany. Since the second world war we've been brothers in arms with them, especially during the cold war.

Cheers. Ewan.
This would be because, since WWII, Germany were banned from having there own army/airforce perhaps? The British Army and the RAF have bases there.

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 18th June 2008, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
The word is that very soon, all train staff will soon by issued with a brand new uniform, and the EWS brand will not be on it.
Some of the EWS 'old boys' who wear a T shirt and jeans will be in for a bit of a culture shock then, if DB follows the current trend of dressing Freight Train Drivers to look like business men in a suit and tie - GBRf style.

Can you imagine sitting on a filty old ballast train at 3 AM, trying to get your head down but making sure you don't crease your suit or get dirt on it ? Crazy !

I remember when Connex first got their franchise. The uniform was b***dy awful, but I damaged my ribs laughing when they pushed the Fench theme too far and tried to make us wear Foreign Legion style Kepi hats.

Just like these splendid chaps ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:F...n_dsc06878.jpg

I wish I'd kept mine now, but sadly it fell under a train and got crushed. Oddly enough this happened to most of them.

Last edited by Foghut; 18th June 2008 at 11:18.
Old 18th June 2008, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
I remember when Connex first got their franchise. The uniform was b***dy awful, but I damaged my ribs laughing when they pushed the Fench theme too far and tried to make us wear Foreign Legion style Kepi hats.

Just like these splendid chaps ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:F...n_dsc06878.jpg
....You've got to be kidding, right?
Old 19th June 2008, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
....You've got to be kidding, right?
Nope the hats were similar to that, except light blue.

I wasn't suggesting they gave us the frilly red bits and sub-machine guns, though there have been times.....
Old 19th June 2008, 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
Some of the EWS 'old boys' who wear a T shirt and jeans will be in for a bit of a culture shock then, if DB follows the current trend of dressing Freight Train Drivers to look like business men in a suit and tie - GBRf style.

Can you imagine sitting on a filty old ballast train at 3 AM, trying to get your head down but making sure you don't crease your suit or get dirt on it ? Crazy !

I wear the EWS T shirt all the time, but if I was made to wear a proper shirt and tie it wouldn't bother me to be honest, even if it was on a ballast train. At this moment in time, though a new uniform has been mentioned, I've heard no word as to whether or not we'll be made to weat a shirt and tie. EWS drivers do get issued with shirts and ties as well.

Getting back to 60040 though, I was told last night that the colour is actually EWS red, though its obviously a much glossier version. I think that if they keep that style and colour without the yellow stripe then it will be a good plan. It looks much better.
Old 19th June 2008, 14:26
Station Manager

I saw 60040 yesterday on the Warrington to Blackburn Cargo Waggons and she looked a picture, even the inside was painted white. It would be great if all the 60s ended up in the same condition. All the best.