05:15

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Steam train driver hit with stone

Old 31st March 2009, 06:34

Steam train driver hit with stone

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....hit_with_stone

Old 31st March 2009, 08:47

Not an uncommon occurrance I'm afraid. Trains on the Severn Valley Railway have been regular targets for stone throwers in the Foley Park area for some years.

Let's hope the police catch the culprit(s), and as has happened in the past with those throwing stones from motorway bridges, charge them with attempted murder which would get them put away for a long, long time.
Old 31st March 2009, 09:38

Mindless morons. The driver is lucky to not injure himself far more severly than he was! Lets hope they do catch them and treat them seriously.
Richard
Old 1st April 2009, 18:15

I would suggest that the chances of them being caught are nil.

The problem lies in the fact they felt the need to throw the stone in the first place. There was a time when the sight of a steam locomotive was enough to make you smile - now you have to throw rocks at it to get a cheap buzz?

I hate to say it but I'm a member of a spoiled and undiciplined generation.
Old 1st April 2009, 18:27

At shildon nrm kids are always on the road bridge over the line, the way to clear them is to put a load of coal on, coast up to them then open up just as you pass!!!

My Video's
http://uk.youtube.com/steamvids
Old 1st April 2009, 23:37
berwickspotter

yes or you could cut there bloody hands off so thay dont do it again
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:17
SOUTHEASTERN-465

as a 14 year old train enthusiast,i think kids these days are chavs and have no respect for nobody,and hearing this story just put the icing on the cake for me,as its says in the bible 'an eye for an eye' so if i was the train driver when i come out of hospital that little chav who through the stone at me would have a brick in his face!!and have more respect!!
calum mclean,14
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:57

http://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/4252...stone_missile/

I've posted the above link as an update on the situation. The way I see it, it's an alarming twist in a long standing problem. We've had problems with stone throwing and trespass on this section for a long time, but it is the first time where the engine crew has been specifically targetted, and also the first time there's been a serious injury. But hopefully the board will allow us to keep running to Heywood, because otherwise we'll be letting the individuals who did this win.
Old 6th April 2009, 20:14

I would also voice my concerns quite loudly at closing down any part of the railway.

It would be allowing them to win, and would make me feel pretty sick. I for one would rather work to find a better solution than closure.

Perhaps a fund to provide improvements to the security to the line in this area, perhaps new, secure fencing and security pratrols, volunteer or otherwise? Even CCTV must be a possibility in some areas?

I for one would put money forward to a 'security' fund to provide better security for the area.
Old 6th April 2009, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
Perhaps a fund to provide improvements to the security to the line in this area, perhaps new, secure fencing and security pratrols, volunteer or otherwise? Even CCTV must be a possibility in some areas?
Thanks for the support Deathbyteacup. We are getting there with security improvements along the line. Most recently this has included much improved fencing in an area which was previously the scene of many incidents, but this seems to have only pushed the problem further along the line.

I'd also just like to let everyone know that when I was on the railway this weekend that I heard that the volunteer involved is how in a much better condition, but is still very shook up.