09:20

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

"Lab rats" needed... ;- )

Old 14th March 2006, 09:38

"Lab rats" needed... ;- )

I have been working on some graphics for "cutout" and paste together vans. I have finished a U.S.A. Consolidated Freightways 28 foot box "cutout" and uploaded it to the net. This is really a "container" until I get something together for wheelsets and bumpers. I am also working on some more complicated designs that will add some three dimensionality to the models. I would also like to do some European vans if someone would care to point me to some good pics.

What I need is for a few people to print the following page out and put it together so I can see how it is going to work on other people's printers before I make more. Here is the link:

http://www.railroadforum.com/printab...ailer_CF01.pdf

This link will remain good even after the new page is created so feel free to get any non forum friends involved if you like.

I plan to make up some simple instructions to go along with the files when I create the "printables" page for the rest of the world.

Note: These things are pretty big files but I refuse to spoil the quality by compressing them any more.

BTW, if anyone is having trouble folding the things accurately, I use a dull razor blade to score the line where the fold will be before I fold it. I just take an old razor blade and make a few hard passes on the concrete. That dulls it up just fine...

Here is a pic of the mock up--this was printed in black and white on an old cheap laser printer so it does not look as good as the final version should look when printed on an inkjet. It was also glued together using individual pieces and tape as I hadn't yet gotten the "built in" tabs added to the template (it has them now).

http://www.railroadforum.com/upload/...ontainer01.JPG

Have at it...

Tom F

Old 14th March 2006, 23:13

Lab "Cat" here.
Looks great on my printer
Length of container prints out at 91mm. So presumably this is a scale of 1:94 if a 28' container is exactly that length in real life.

OH NO - Ive just realised I've been tricked onto the slippery slope into railway modeling...........

Last edited by Shed Cat; 14th March 2006 at 23:36.
Old 15th March 2006, 02:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat
OH NO - Ive just realised I've been tricked onto the slippery slope into railway modeling...........
Just give in to it Cat, one way or the way other, it's where you'll end up.
Old 15th March 2006, 06:35

Darn. A few others had that problem--for some it was too big, for others, too small. There is a scaling feature in Acrobat that must be the culprit. On my printer (and on a few others) it comes out to exactly a scale 28' feet long and 8' wide. I'll have to play with the scaling in Acrobat to see what it does.

Tom F
Old 15th March 2006, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev
Just give in to it Cat, one way or the way other, it's where you'll end up.
Well I suppose it is a warm, dry, hobby near a kettle and the fridge that doesnt include standing out in the cold and rain for hours waiting for the the 12" to the foot stuff. Sounds more attractive already.

But the drawback is you cant hit lumps of rusty metal with a great big hammer in the name of preservation. Hmmmmmm.
Old 16th March 2006, 05:07

Hey Cat, just keep a block of rusty metal and a hammer next to the hobby bench--it would be great for relieving stress...

I did up another 28 footer this evening (my time--you should all be tucked in bed). BTW, we discovered the problem some people were having with the scale when printing these out. One has to turn off the "Page Scaling" in Acrobat and set the paper size to 8 1/2" X 11".

Here is a GI Trucking Company 28 footer:

http://www.railroadforum.com/printab...ler_GITC01.pdf

Here is a Navajo trailer from last night:

http://www.railroadforum.com/printab...iler_NAV01.pdf

Here is a picture of the Consolidated Freightways trailer built up by Ken Ravenscroft of Wisconsin, U.S.A.:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...s/DSCF1261.jpg

Ken added some wheels and other parts borrowed from an old trailer kit he had.

Next, I have to fix the 40 foot template and then the Australians are demanding some containers...

Tom F
Old 16th March 2006, 22:52

The things you learn through these sites.....

"ISO containers are manufactured in many sizes. The standard width is 8 ft. The most common lengths are 20 and 40 ft. Other lengths include 24, 28, 44, 45, 46, 53 and 56 ft"

Yes, lets have some 40 footers please. I think I am going to start stacking them in a little wall around my p.c. at work (Until they come and take me away )

Setting the printer to 8 1/2 x 11 and "No Scaling" now gives me a 97mm long container - hope that is right. I suggest you could put a note on the sheet that it is 8 1/2 x 11, rather than the 11.65" x 8.26" standard paper over here known as A4 size.
Old 16th March 2006, 23:34

[QUOTE=tomfassett] I would also like to do some European vans if someone would care to point me to some good pics.

Oh dear, Oh dear....There are "van" spotters out there.
I'm sure they are very fine people......

http://www.matts-place.com/intermoda...ontainers1.htm

Last edited by Shed Cat; 16th March 2006 at 23:43.
Old 17th March 2006, 08:56

I think A4 is standard everywhere but in the States--seems that half the world had problems with this...

I did (well, actually someone else did) discover another slight issue. I forgot about the fact that many inkjet printers have a larger margin on the bottom of the page. I have corrected this and uploaded the new files.

The 40 footer will be done by the weekend.

Seems I am going to be stuck in a hotel in Texas for a few days next week so will take the camera and laptop and see if I can't get a few dozen more done.

Tom F
Old 17th March 2006, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfassett
Seems I am going to be stuck in a hotel in Texas for a few days next week so will take the camera and laptop and see if I can't get a few dozen more done.

Tom F
Surely this will lead to more problems as we are always told that everything in Texas is just that little bit bigger.

Keep up the good work
John

Last edited by swisstrains; 17th March 2006 at 19:46.