18:51

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Thinking of a new direction

Old 15th September 2013, 13:44

Thinking of a new direction

OK chaps

been looking at some narrow gauge and doing it as much as possible by scratch building

the scale is O-16.5

I have a couple of 0-4-0 chassis I can use for two loco's but I am thinking of a shunting layout end to end so need a tender loco and a tank
One of the Chassis is external cylinder so that's the tender one sorted but

Has anyone got some pictures that I could look at that may help me draw up plans to scratch build these and what type of wagons I might use would prefer not to go slate mine but something more like the Ashover Light Railway with a bit more variety than ore trains

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 15th September 2013, 21:58

Hi Gray,
For someone in poor health you seem to do more work than Balfour Beatty ! I wish you the best of luck with your new venture. How far back does your collection of Railway Modellers go back ? There have been several NG layouts featured in the last three years, many with various scratchbuilt locos for inspiration.
Regards, Tony
Old 15th September 2013, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Hi Gray,
For someone in poor health you seem to do more work than Balfour Beatty ! I wish you the best of luck with your new venture. How far back does your collection of Railway Modellers go back ? There have been several NG layouts featured in the last three years, many with various scratchbuilt locos for inspiration.
Regards, Tony
I do not have a collection of Railway Modeller (lack of cash) but will have to check out the local library to see

Thanks for the compliment as My brain is still highly active and I just cannot sit and watch

this is the main reason for my idea of scratch building most of the stuff because whilst I have sufficient to live on the government say I have too much to be eligible for any more money (just £30 a year too much though)

But that isn't stopping me which is why I want a new challenge and 0-16.5 looks interesting

Old 16th September 2013, 20:37

Good luck Gray and I hope it all works out for your interesting challenge. Keep us informed of progress as though I am not a modeler, I am certainly interested.
All the best
Phil
Old 17th September 2013, 07:15

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
I'm a fan of narrow gauge and have put quite a few pics of the little fellas on the forum. If you care to have a look throught them Gray and see something you fancy then I can have a trawl through my computer for more pics of the particular loco.

I'll have look through mine here for some 0-4-0s and send a few on to you. I've got plenty of shots of Quarry Hunslets if you fancy on of those.

Hope I can be of help and the best of luck with the project

KEN
Old 17th September 2013, 10:26

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eaton_Hall_Railway

The Eaton Hall Railway?

15 inch gauge though but could give you some inspiration. The first loco was 0-4-0 but I dont fancy the idea of reproducing the "radiating axles" on the 0-6-0s

(The jpeg was drawn by me so no worries about copyright)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eaton_hall_railway.jpg (46.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by wyvern; 17th September 2013 at 10:28.
Old 17th September 2013, 19:02

Not decided on loco's yet except I've got 2 0-4-0 chassis (Hornby)
one is outside cylinders so thinking of making it 2-4-0 tender and the other probably keeping it a tank engine

also thinking of a simple Station / goods yard set up maybe with standard gauge interchange

thinking about extending what Stretton on the ALR used to have and what it was planned to have

Old 20th September 2013, 06:45

Not sure if this is appropriate Madcaravanner, but have you considered modelling countries that use narrow gauge throughout their system. I am thinking of parts of Australia, all of New Zealand and (I think) South Africa that use the 3 ft 6 in / 1,067 mm gauge - that may give you something unique to model your system on.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayar View Post
Not sure if this is appropriate Madcaravanner, but have you considered modelling countries that use narrow gauge throughout their system. I am thinking of parts of Australia, all of New Zealand and (I think) South Africa that use the 3 ft 6 in / 1,067 mm gauge - that may give you something unique to model your system on.

LOL Yes and decided that I wanted something a little easier to sort out research locally

Which is why I am now seriously looking at Ashover Light Railway and Stretton Station
There was a planned interchange between the LMS Standard gauge and ALR's 2 foot gauge. There was a siding started on the Standard gauge which used to be used as a cripple siding for Northbound freight ( the outline of the siding is still visible on Google Earth)

So my idea is to get the plans and built the interchange as it might have looked if it happened

Old 21st September 2013, 06:29

Thanks for the reply Madcaravanner, I have had a look at the Ashover Light Railway website, and I can see why that would be a great idea for your modelling - and that is real narrow gauge. Good luck with your project.

Tags
freelance, narrow gauge, o-16.5