00:29

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

12ft by 9ft layout

Old 21st January 2009, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffer View Post
just like to say thankyou chaps for answering me thread, but part of me seems to think that i've caused a prob or two, i do hope this aint the case,but i'am sorry if i have ok .............
Hi "buffer", You haven't caused any problems at all
The railway modelling forum doesn't see a lot of activity and I was just trying to get a discussion going. I know that Mike and Trev have given you some suggestions but I think more members would have got involved had you given us more information.

Old 22nd January 2009, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
....... I know the trend nowadays is to go for DCC but I find controlling trains with a conventional control panel is part of the fun. (I must be a frustrated signaller ) I even enjoy doing all the wiring......is that sad?
John, I agree, conventional control is much more satisfying. One feels one is bringing some sort of skill to bear that is also much more in keeping with the railway feel of particularly steam in the early 60's. I too enjoy the wiring and mechanical side much more than the scenic stuff - probably because I'm better at it.

What on earth got you into Swiss Trains? .... or is that a dark secret?!!!

Mike
Old 22nd January 2009, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60159 View Post
.....................What on earth got you into Swiss Trains? .... or is that a dark secret?!!!

Mike
In the early 70's when I started to lose interest in chasing women (after getting married ) I rediscovered railways and it seemed like a good idea to try and build a layout. At the time space was very limited so I decided to go with British N-gauge. I built a few layouts over the next 15 or so years but I became more and more dissatisfied with the poor quality of most of the British N-gauge locos. Some of the diesels were OK but decent running steam locos were virtually non existent. This coincided with my first visit to Switzerland and I soon fell in love with their excellent railway system which seemed to have the efficiency of a modern electric system whilst still retaining much of the atmosphere that had long since disappeared from British railways. This interest in Swiss railways combined with the much higher quality Swiss N-gauge models converted me almost immediately. I sold all my British equipment and I have been with Swiss outline ever since.
With the takeover of Graham Farish by Bachmann and the emergence of firms like Dapol, the quality of British N-gauge has improved considerably but I doubt if I will ever return to it especially as I now have over 70 locos.
Old 23rd January 2009, 13:56
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffer View Post
just like to say thankyou chaps for answering me thread, but part of me seems to think that i've caused a prob or two, i do hope this aint the case,but i'am sorry if i have ok .............
Don't worry Buffer. This is what the Forum is all about. Often by trying to answer questions we find out more ourselves, so keep asking and putting in your own ideas.

Best wishes,

John H-T.