09:19

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Exploding toilet

Old 2nd February 2010, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
So, do toilets discharge onto the tracks? ....the thought of the tracks being contaminated with flushed "richards" seems a little unsavoury.
Apparently in America they discharge into the cubicle!

Old 2nd February 2010, 09:37
Registered Member

Most older train toilets emptied straight on to the track but newer trains have retention tanks.

Last edited by locojoe; 2nd February 2010 at 09:53.
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojoe View Post
Most older train toilets empited straight on to the track but newer trains have retention tanks.
In my wide and varied travels in Europe (and North Africa) between 1977 and 1994, the vast majority of trains had toilets fitted with a hinged flap down the pan, flushing meant that water forced down the flap and washed (some/most) of whatever onto the track; you could see the sleepers flashing (flushing?) past. Often, the flaps wouldn't fully return to the 'closed' position, and, especially in winter, sitting on the throne involved getting a very draughty rear end.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:38

Most of the trains I've travelled on in Continental europe, even the more modern NS Sprinter units discharge onto the track, and dont mention toilets on Chinese Trains, I feel ill at the very thought of using (and smelling the stench) from one!
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:42

This guy was a guardsman for South African Railways for 50 years, so when his retirement came up, the railways built him a circular track and gave him a disused railway carriage in which to live as his retirement home. He was delighted. A few months later his ex boss decided to visit to see how he was enjoying his retirement. On arrival, he noticed the guy's wife grunting and puffing, pushing the carriage around the track. "What's up?", he asked the couple. "Well boss, after all these years in the Railways, don't you know that the toilets only work while the train is in motion?"
Old 2nd February 2010, 20:10

Did the lady in the original post "Get her own Back "
Old 2nd February 2010, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by davat View Post
Did the lady in the original post "Get her own Back "
I expect so; some of it was in the paper...
Would the actions of such a person making a claim in the courts following such an event be described as 'sueage' ?

Last edited by Dave Rowland; 2nd February 2010 at 20:28. Reason: spolling mistike
Old 5th February 2010, 21:07

Talking

A quick true story. In my early 20's I worked in a tax accountants. One of our best customers who contacted us almost daily, went quiet for a couple of months which was unlike him. We eventually got a letter from him with a photo of him in a wheelchair with a broken arm and leg.

He had been having a sneaky fag on the throne and when finished put it between his legs into the bowl and that was about the last he remembered before waking up in hospital. Seemingly his wife was frightened of spiders, and had brushed one into the toilet bowl and for whatever reason decided to pour a whole tin of lighter fluid on top of it

Our customer had severe burns to his rear end and a broken leg as he landed on the edge of the bath surrounded by the remains of the bowl. When the ambulancemen were carrying him down the stairs they were not concentrating (they may have been laughing) and they dropped the stretcher which caused his broken arm !! The story later appeared in in book of strange accidents as the local paper got the story (he never forgave his wife either), but it was absolutely true.
Old 6th February 2010, 15:28
Registered Member

Good story Pesmo although his wife pouring lighter fluid down the loo sounds daft. I wonder if they got divorced afterwards.
Old 6th February 2010, 15:32

I would not have thought that smoking in a toilet was a good thing !

Specially as the gas from a "bottie cough" is methane.