13:38

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Use of Jet Trains in the UK

Old 22nd March 2006, 14:16

Cool Use of Jet Trains in the UK

As part of a high speed railway idea from the government, there has been an idea that perhaps Jet Trains will come to Britain and be used on runs such as Edinburgh to London and could reduce journey times by around 2 hours.

Im guessing that they will look similar to the Bombardier Jet Trains in the USA and Canada and they look pretty cool. I wouldnt mind them coming to the UK.

Personally however I think that since we already have electrified lines along the Edinburgh to London route it would be better to run electiried trains along this route. I don't know how energy efficient the jet trains are, but it could be better to run electic trains. This might be a good idea if they were used on non-electrified routes.

What does everyone think of this idea, and for those who have travelled on a Jet Train, what are they like?

Old 22nd March 2006, 22:51

I've never been on a jet train, but I think it would be better if the main lines were upgraded, quadrupled, or whatever to increase capacity and speeds. Given the energy situation in the world, electric traction is the way to go.
Old 23rd March 2006, 08:07

Yep, I would like to see more lines being electrified, such as Preston - Blackpool North and the North Wales Line, that would enable 390's to run all the way without the use of the 57's.
Dave

Last edited by martin adamson; 26th April 2006 at 14:19.
Old 2nd April 2006, 11:02
Station Manager

Alan Salisbury,
I see you are in France. Is there any steam activity anywhere around you. I understand that the UK's SNCF Society has an archive of French Railway photographs. 400 of which are to be released on a CD this year. Many of the photos have never been published before. Do you have any shots of French railways modern or steam that you could post?
Syd
Old 26th April 2006, 14:18

does anyone know if the Jet Trains are any more efficient comapred to trains such as HST's?
Perhaps if they are energy efficient, the engine design could be used in ther HST2 design, I beleve thatthe HST2 will be made up of a hibrid engine, I am not sure how fast it will go.
Imagine HST's flying up the UK at 150mph
Dave
Old 26th April 2006, 21:59

My question is: to what extent are the West and East Coasts Mainlines been upgraded to? What are their projected maximum speeds?
Then we can think on what trains can run on them.
On my way of reasoning, a Jet Train would only be feasible on a non-stop run and on city-avoiding lines. That's so because a turbine's max.efficiency is at max.speed. It should not be hampered by speed restrictions at all.
Old 27th April 2006, 08:17

apparently when the GNER Eurostar sets were used on the ECML they were only allowed a maximum speed of 125mph, this being the maximum speed for class 91's and 222's also used on the line. So I guess the maximum speed for the ECML is 125mph.
On the WCML Pendolinos and Voyagers can do up to 125mph, but there are plans for this to be upgraded to 135mph. Mk3 coaching stock can do up to 110mph on the line.
Dave

Last edited by martin adamson; 27th April 2006 at 08:27.
Old 27th April 2006, 20:25

Thank you David for your valuable information.
My idea is that electric traction would have the edge as for flexibility to the various situations. Perhaps the Jet Train would be more at home on long and transcontinental routes as found in the US, Brazil, Australia and South Africa. If we consider the "Pendolino", it is a conception diametrically opposite: not very high speed, but higher speeds on all routes allowed by tilting technology (40 mph instead of 30 on tight curves, etc).
Please have your say.
Cheers from Dario
Old 28th April 2006, 10:55

yeh the jet trains would find it more difficult on the WCML due to the corners, it might be quite a good idea for routes such as the ECML as this is quite straight, but it would be more energy efficient to run electric traisn no the line in my opinion (I suppose the same on the WCML), does anyone know why the Eurostars were only allowed a maximum speed on 125mph on this line when they were used and not any faster? (well perhaps 185mph is too demanding for these tracks but it could have been given a higher speed, perhaps 135mph, or was this becauseof the high amount of traffic using the line as at the moment Kings Cross is a full station and can't fit any more trains in, so the Eurostars would just be queing behind other trains)?
Dave
Old 1st May 2006, 14:53
Station Manager

A site I came across by chance. For anyone interested in Crocodile or Swiss Steam and electric locos.
http://www.martynbane.co.uk/2003Trip.../oct042003.htm
Syd