10:55

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Closure of LMR lines and Stations.

Old 4th July 2010, 23:28

Well Wikipedia wasn't much help ! All it says about regional transfers affecting the LMR is

"During the time of the LMR's existence there were a number of transfers of territory to and from other regions. The major changes were:

In 1949 the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway, which was wholly surrounded by Eastern lines and almost completely cut off from the rest of the LMR network, was transferred to the Eastern.
In 1958 a major re-drawing of the regional boundaries took place. LMR lines in South Wales and south-west of Birmingham were transferred to the Western; lines in Lincolnshire and the present-day South Yorkshire went to the Eastern Region and in the present-day West and North Yorkshire to the North Eastern Region. In return the London Midland gained the lines of the former Great Central Railway that lay outside Yorkshire and Lincolnshire."

Doesn't even mention the transfer of ex GWR lines in the West Midlands, which I am sure was 1963. Derby Friargate was ex GNR, but maybe they are lumping it in with ex GCR lines ?

Old 5th July 2010, 05:45
Registered Member

"Owdo", I think it was 1963 as well, I will have a look through my paperwork see what I can find.

Old 5th July 2010, 05:57

[QUOTE= lay outside Yorkshire and Lincolnshire."

Doesn't even mention the transfer of ex GWR lines in the West Midlands, which I am sure was 1963. Derby Friargate was ex GNR, but maybe they are lumping it in with ex GCR lines ?[/QUOTE]

All the Ex GNR lines west of the Mapperley tunnel(on line that missed Victotia)& The Hall station were "transferred" to the Midland region at the same time,
Colwick yard & area suffered the same fate in 1965/6
Old 5th July 2010, 06:04
Registered Member

Morning mate, thanks for that.

Old 5th July 2010, 06:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48111 View Post
Morning mate, thanks for that.

Once the midland got it's grubbys on the GNR &GCR they were doomed one major problem was the collapse of the Mapperley tunnel in March 1960 which meant all Ex GNR freights had to go to Colwick yard via Victoria station &Weekday Cross.
The trains then entered Colwick yard via Netherfield Junction.
When reaching Colwick North Junction they "set" back into the yard.
The line from the North junction to Gedling colliery remained open till the mine closed in 1992 long after Colwick yard closed.
Old 5th July 2010, 19:12

Closure of LMR lines and stations

The LMR took control of the Western lines from Banbury northwards in September 1963.