10:39

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

What scale model railway?

View Poll Results: What scale or gauge?
N gauge. 7 25.00%
OO gauge. 17 60.71%
O gauge. 1 3.57%
Other. (Please specify) 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th June 2006, 20:46

Yeah it does sound like I'm quite spoilt Trev but even though I'm well off for space I have the very real dissadvantage of being 12000 miles away from the prototype I have chosen to model. Magazines ,books and the like are fine but there is no substitute for being there.Not that I'm moaning at all, research has become just as enjoyable as modelling When I'm finished my current layout I would like to consider 0 gauge but we will have to wait a while for that.

cheers Dave.

Old 7th July 2006, 09:48

I model in OO and Ho USA. I have dabbled in N and O guage. I'm currently building a OO triple circuit in my cabin, there's still a long way to go though!
Old 10th July 2006, 20:34

I have had layouts in HO (an advertising layout for a group - very, very, simple - to have trains moving continuously) and N for myself. The latter has just been re-built following a move from house to small flat.
Old 30th July 2006, 22:44

i model north eastern BR but if we manage to move house i will get a 7 1/4 inch guaage railway :P
Old 13th September 2006, 18:58

Although I voted in this thread several months ago I never got round to giving any details of my interests. My very first permanent layout was in the 1950's on a 6' x 4' board in my bedroom. It was 00 Gauge and the stock was mainly Tri-ang with a small amount of Hornby Dublo. In the mid 60's I sold it all for £10 and used the proceeds to take one of those new fangled girl things to see the "Sound of Music"....Big mistake!!!
In the late 70's, after getting married, I restarted modelling. My available space was still about the same but by now N Gauge had become available so my layout could be four times as big. Initially I modelled British Railways (LMR and WR) and built two layouts in the 70's and 80's using mainly Graham Farish and Peco stock.
In 1990 I was converted to European N Gauge and I am now in the process of building my second Swiss layout. My stock is mainly Fleischmann, Kato, Roco and Minitrix and I use Peco Code 55 track.
John.
Old 12th October 2006, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains
......... It was 00 Gauge and the stock was mainly Tri-ang with a small amount of Hornby Dublo. In the mid 60's I sold it all for £10 and used the proceeds to take one of those new fangled girl things to see the "Sound of Music"....Big mistake!!! ............
40+ years later two of the locos that I sold have re-appeared. "They have stopped working John....can you fix them?" I knew I shouldn't have offered that 50 year guarantee
oo models.jpg
"Cardiff Castle" is a Hornby Dublo 2-rail loco and I think it was quite a good model in it's day. The horrible looking blue thing is supposed to be a North British Type 2 diesel and was made by the French Playcraft company. Anyone who moans about trivial detail errors in todays models should think themselves lucky
Old 12th October 2006, 22:49

Quote:
In 1990 I was converted to European N Gauge and I am now in the process of building my second Swiss layout. My stock is mainly Fleischmann, Kato, Roco and Minitrix and I use Peco Code 55 track.
I had a look at your website John, in particular the pics and track plans of your first Swiss layout. Very impressive it was as well. The upper part looks very nice....but I was gobsmacked when I saw the lower level storage sidings! How on earth did you manage to control it all? I was expecting to see half a dozen storage sidings, not an Alpine Toton Yard. A really impressive layout.
Old 12th October 2006, 22:53

Quote:
Anyone who moans about trivial detail errors in todays models should think themselves lucky
Absolutely. It does throw into perspective some of the comments I've read recently in the magazines. 'Spanner Swirlyflow 3' who comments on new models in 'Rail Express' is particularly guilty at times. He picks out the most trivial details, as though he is trying to make you feel guilty for even thinking about buying a particular model.
Old 13th October 2006, 07:39

Just picked up on these thoughts. Been to most gauges between 7 1/4 and N (not to mention 6 inch scale steam wagon) but at the moment am more concerned with 'M' scale. This is a relatively unknown scale since the 'M' stands for 'My', this is the only way I can think of describing 1 inch scale on 45 mm gauge track (LGB). An original running on 21 inch gauge formed the basic idea but mostly at this time due to retirement and space LGB track out in the garden and it is surprising how much can be got into a space 10 feet wide and 30 feet long which ioncludes 3 ponds and a stream.
Steam powered of course.
John
Old 13th October 2006, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev
....but I was gobsmacked when I saw the lower level storage sidings! How on earth did you manage to control it all? I was expecting to see half a dozen storage sidings, not an Alpine Toton Yard. ..........
Trev,
All the points were manually operated and I made sure that they were accessible through the gap at the front of the layout although some were "just around the corner" so you had to operate them by feel . It worked quite well until there was a derailment which fortunately didn't happen too often. The worst possible scenario was occasionally caused by our old friend "the N-Gauge coupler"........If some of the stock became detached from a train climbing up to the upper level it would roll back down to the storage sidings at high speed resulting in total chaos It would then be a case of removing all the stock and starting again.
My new layout has a similar system of storage sidings beneath the main layout but I now have a bit more space to play with so access is easier.
new_upper.jpg

new_lower.jpg