16:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

What A Load Of Po!

Old 29th August 2006, 15:59

What A Load Of Po!

Do any other modellers find, like i do, the plethora of private owner (PO) open wagons offered by the manufacturers a waste of investment when we all want other stuff? There seems to be no end of variations of these things offered which in the real world were only really in use for a short period of history well outside the time periods modelled by the majority of us.

Old 29th August 2006, 23:33

I couldn't agree more. I just don't see the point, unles it's to try to encourage people to collect different liveries of the same model. But from an operating point of view...I'm 49, been into railways since I was about 12, and I cannot ever remember seeing a PO wagon.
Old 31st August 2006, 09:57

I wouldn't be too bothered by all those 5/7 planks if there weren't such huge gaps in the availability of other stock such as dmu/emu and wagon types such as grampus etc......
Old 1st September 2006, 22:40

Are you modelling in 7mm scale Zwicky?
If so, I have always been under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that this scale is often frequented by the more senior modellers who can remember PO wagons and therefore wish to have them on their layouts.

John (not quite old enough to remember PO wagons)
Old 4th September 2006, 17:50
Station Manager

Got to say I like PO wagons: bring a bit of colour and variety to the trains on my layout. Just received my Bachmann Collector's Club wagon for this year. Much more acceptable than Hornby's endless variations on 0-4-0T from their Collector's Club.

Quite a few PO wagons survived into the 1950's much repaired. Perhaps the repaired, weathered examples could add a few more variations to the theme!

On the subject of emu's Bachmann have just anounced that they are to produce the 4CEP unit, initially as originally built with other varients later if it sells!

By the way Bachmann and their Collector's Club will be at the Gloucester and Warwicks on Sunday 8th October to present David Shepherd with No.1 of the Collector's Club limited edition of 92203 Black Prince. The real Black Prince (9F) is also due to attend in steam. This would be a good opportunity to lobby Bachmann about your ideas for future products.

I certainly hope to be there.

Last edited by John H-T; 4th September 2006 at 18:06.