15:57

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Hs2 on channel 4

Old 4th August 2011, 14:54

"The trouble in Gosport is that BR leased out some of the land as soon as goods services stopped in 1969, so by 1970/71 there was an estate of 27 houses built across the trackbed at the west end of the terminus, and an industrial estate built across the trackbed a few hundred yards west of that, so there wasn't ever much chance of reinstating the whole line as far as the station, which is a fair way from Gosport town itself - probably why not many passengers used the trains in the first place."

Dave, We hear of this as happened in so many places! Its just the short sighted view of most local authorities that dont get the bigger picture! Everyone seems to be afraid of the words "Investment for the long term" we all know railways directly dont show profits but that is not why they belong! Its because indirectly they bring so much more to the areas they serve. Only got to look at the EVR to see what benefit the new branch line had done to Wirksworth and its local ecconomy!
Anyway good luck for the future
Regards
Phil

Old 6th August 2011, 19:52

New to this forum. I watched this on youtube, after i was told about it by some freinds. I must say pete waterman, didnt hold back shooting down the nonsense that this nimby was spouting.

There is another video on youtube with him arguing with christian wolmar, who says that the governemnt, is overstating how many passengers would use it, might be true but i suspect as we have see with otehr lines which have been re-opened passenger numbers could be much higher than the governement predicted.

I personally think we need HS2 urgently and i am fed up with some of these nimbys, although perhaps a few do raise some good points.

It is good to see those who have a understanding of the railways such as pete waterman and rails' nigel harris standing up for HS2, i just hope the governemnt shows a backbone and doesnt listen to even some of its own MP's such as our own secetry of state for wales, who in my opinion is useless,
Old 6th August 2011, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony215 View Post
New to this forum. I watched this on youtube, after i was told about it by some freinds. I must say pete waterman, didnt hold back shooting down the nonsense that this nimby was spouting.

There is another video on youtube with him arguing with christian wolmar, who says that the governemnt, is overstating how many passengers would use it, might be true but i suspect as we have see with otehr lines which have been re-opened passenger numbers could be much higher than the governement predicted.

I personally think we need HS2 urgently and i am fed up with some of these nimbys, although perhaps a few do raise some good points.

It is good to see those who have a understanding of the railways such as pete waterman and rails' nigel harris standing up for HS2, i just hope the governemnt shows a backbone and doesnt listen to even some of its own MP's such as our own secetry of state for wales, who in my opinion is useless,
Hi Anthony and welcome to the forum. Nice to hear your views too and for the record I agree with what you say about the need for HS2 being urgent. It is, and all the way up north from Birmingham! Lets do it!!!!
Regards
Phil
Old 7th August 2011, 01:32

Most of the problem is that people seem to think it is just being built for those living in Brimingham & Manchester, when in fact it would mean extra services to Liverpool (in fact i suspect liverpool would get more trains if there was room at lime street for them)

I know it is planned to evenutally get HS2 to Glasgow/Edinburgh i have read some trains could get from Scotland to London in a little as 3 hours or possibly even less than that.

I know the road haulage industry are against HS2, yet Eddie stobart want to run more freight on the west coast mainline, you would think they would support HS2 as it would mean that there would be more freight paths on the west coast mainline.
Old 11th August 2011, 01:53

Well...I have to say chaps, I don't think that HS2 will ever be built. I don't like it, like you.....and Pete, I think that it's a must! But I've been listening to the Parliament Channel HS2 Committee and the NIMBYS have hired clever lawyers etc to fight their case. They are rich, powerful and totally uncaring about the needs of the rest of the country. All they care about is the view from their window......in my book they're tantamount to being traitors to the country they profess to love.

Pete BTW missed a very important point when the NIMBY said: "Look at HS1, it was supposed to carry XXX amount and it's only carrying X amount!"

Mr Nimby, that's probably because it ONLY serves London! Connect it to the rest of the nation and see what happens!.....

I travel in Germany a lot, by car that is, on holiday. For several years we watched as a HS railway was built for the ICE trains, from Garmish-Partenkirchen all the way via Munich - Frankfurt A.M. to at least...Cologne and possibly further.

It was NOT built piecemeal, a little bit at a time....

It was built by men and machinery along the whole route at once! You could watch the work beside the autobahn as you drove along. New track bed, tunnels, bridges, viaducts...stations (like Frankfurt Airport) the whole length at once. Hundreds of miles........not a mere 90 to Birmingham which will take at least a decade and cost a fortune because the NIMBYS are standing in the way of progress and thereby costing the nation a fortune in legal costs and other obstructive measures until it is dropped!

Pete is right....but I fear he is the only man batting.
Old 11th August 2011, 09:27

I think you are right Resolution. Britain has a national habit of only doing something when our backs are against the wall. Look at the second world war when defence spending was repeatably cut until about 1937/8

It will take a massive oil crisis, which from my limited understanding, should kick in at around 2030 before serious money will go into other transport alternatives.
Old 11th August 2011, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Road View Post
I think you are right Resolution. Britain has a national habit of only doing something when our backs are against the wall. Look at the second world war when defence spending was repeatably cut until about 1937/8

It will take a massive oil crisis, which from my limited understanding, should kick in at around 2030 before serious money will go into other transport alternatives.
It seems that way. We always manage to take the cheapest option and never quite go the whole hog in anything any government takes on! It would appear that whoever or whatever body is in control they only ever go half way to a solution. That applies to so much this country is involved with!
I wonder if the people who authorized and organized the building of all the infrastucture for the olympics want to reveiw HS2 because that seems to be going without a hitch!!!!
regards
Phil
Old 11th August 2011, 15:55

I tell you what, I'd like to take a bet......

Despite the debt crisis and coming inflation, I'll bet that our stupid government (of whatever flavour) still goes ahead and buys the Trident update, £76 Billion + for rockets that we can never fire 'cos if we did that would be the last thing that we did.

On the other hand, the Germans for a fraction of that price are introducing a new fleet of ICE trains, double decked, air conditioned, and with family rooms on the upper deck for those with children! If my memory serves me right I think they are buying 38 complete 9 car trains.

A visit to the DB website may give more information if it's still up on the site.
Old 11th August 2011, 16:02

I am not taking on that bet!!
Old 11th August 2011, 23:05

Yes Belmont Rd, I despair of this country I really do. It's not that we don't have the money or even the skills, it's just that our governments priorities are wrong.

Tags
hs2 pete waterman