00:27

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Peak Rails Link to Network Rail at Matlock

Old 22nd January 2011, 13:23

All that is needed then is the ability to release the token at the Matlock end. ???

Old 22nd January 2011, 15:06

This tour no longer showing on the RTC website. Report on another forum from someone booked on it that RTC advised him today that it will now run to/from Kings Cross, out via Grantham, return via Stamford, loco will be 70000.

Regards, 62440.
Old 24th January 2011, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
Wish I had taken some pics now pulled into the Station at Matlock nice new double track all ready and waiting
I think we were both under the misapprehension that Peak Rail would run into the station.

Reading the OP again what has happened I think is simply that the connection between the lines has been upgraded. I thought it had always been present but possibly not suitable for passenger traffic.

To refurbish the station platform would entail an awful lot of work. Looking at John H-T's picture again I think he is saying that Peak Rail will instead build a new platform immediately north of the Network Rail station (Riverside being some distance further away)

This would be much cheaper as Peak Rail's loco could run round in NR's existing loop opposite Sainsbury's and it mean that passengers are not crossing the line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image0014.jpg (362.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Image0015.jpg (166.1 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by wyvern; 24th January 2011 at 15:28. Reason: photos
Old 24th January 2011, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern View Post
I think we were both under the misapprehension that Peak Rail would run into the station.

Reading the OP what happened I think is simply that the connection between the lines has been upgraded. I thought it had always been present but possibly not suitable for passenger traffic.

Looking at it on the ground I have the idea that Peak Rail will instead build a new platform immediately north of the Network Rail station (Riverside being some distance further away)

This would be much cheaper as Peak Rail's loco could run round in NR's existing loop opposite Sainsbury's and it mean that passengers are not crossing the line.
A good few years ago when Peak Rail were still using Matlock station buildings (remember the Co-Bo in the Goods shed?) they were talking of rebuilding platform 2 at Matlock so they could run straight into the town centre

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 24th January 2011, 15:33

You answered my post while I was updating it with the photos. As I wrote there would be an awful lot of work plus passengers would be crossing the line unless the footbridge was modified which looks possible but costly (Is it council property?)

In my second picture, where the red stop block is on the right, the line used to run into a luggage siding at the top end of Platform 2 (now 1) where the white van is in the recently extended car park. I'm guessing they'll take that green fence down and put the platform there. It is just about level with the loop.

Last edited by wyvern; 24th January 2011 at 15:37.
Old 24th January 2011, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
rebuilding platform 2 at Matlock
<pedant hat on>Actually Platform 1. The northbound - down- platforms along this line were always 1. The present platform used to be 2 as at Belper. </pedant hat on>
Old 24th January 2011, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern View Post
<pedant hat on>Actually Platform 1. The northbound - down- platforms along this line were always 1. The present platform used to be 2 as at Belper. </pedant hat on>
OK not old enough to remember seeing 2 platforms in use at Matlock 4 platforms at Clay Cross yes and our firm removed the old wood from the station plus a couple of loads of Sleepers "by accident" they stopped us on the third load of those we just sorry thought these were ours too just doing what the boss told us (the boss was driving the lorry LOL)

Old 24th January 2011, 17:53
Station Manager

Peak Rail's Plan is to run into the disused platform at Matlock and for the footbridge to be modified to allow access. I notice from Wyvern's photo that clearance work has begun, the platform was very heavily overgrown when I last looked a couple of months ago. The only draw back is that a shunter will have to be stationed at Matlock to release the coaches to the loop to release the train engine. An added cost and time consuming. NR are not keen on trains being propelled in and out of the platform, even if there are no passengers on board. I believe that there is still a lot of discussion needed to work out exactly how everything will work. In the meantime Peak Rail Trains will continue to terminate at Riverside.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 24th January 2011, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
Peak Rail's Plan is to run into the disused platform at Matlock and for the footbridge to be modified to allow access. I notice from Wyvern's photo that clearance work has begun, the platform was very heavily overgrown when I last looked a couple of months ago. The only draw back is that a shunter will have to be stationed at Matlock to release the coaches to the loop to release the train engine. An added cost and time consuming. NR are not keen on trains being propelled in and out of the platform, even if there are no passengers on board. I believe that there is still a lot of discussion needed to work out exactly how everything will work. In the meantime Peak Rail Trains will continue to terminate at Riverside.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

John an alternative method would be to use a second proper loco rather than shunting duties just alternate loco's so the first would uncouple run into the loop AFTER the train has left wait for it to return then re-join the train at the other end
OK it could mean two loco's in steam or have one diesel operating which can be shut down between turns

All hypothetical of course

Old 24th January 2011, 20:37

Or an autotrain

LINK: Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway 4-4-0Ts ( exchanged for three Midland built 0-4-4Ts) and four American Pullman carriages

The station looks better in the photo than it does in real life. At least as bad as the Duffield platform of the EVR if not worse.

Last edited by wyvern; 24th January 2011 at 20:47. Reason: better example