18:16

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Safer level crossings ?

Old 2nd November 2013, 18:08

How come she did not see the barrier across the road then?
I would have though a piece of something across a road at that height would not have been difficult to see even in bright sunlight. Perhaps people these days drive too fast in the hopes of beating a barrier if it should start to come down and cannot stop as a result. I have often seen people accelerate to get over the Holme crossing after the lights have started flashing and barely got underneath. No matter what is used idiots will always try to get by, over or underneath. In the good old days running into the gate would wreck the car but not these lightweight bits of metal and for all I know plastic modern barriers are made from.
John.

Old 3rd November 2013, 07:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
Got to agree strongly a level crossing is dangerous only if it's used incorrectly
The fatality at Moreton-on-Lugg a few years ago was blamed squarely on the signaller. He became confused and opened the barrier when he should not have done.
Old 3rd November 2013, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
How come she did not see the barrier across the road then? I would have though a piece of something across a road at that height would not have been difficult to see even in bright sunlight. Perhaps people these days drive too fast in the hopes of beating a barrier if it should start to come down and cannot stop as a result. I have often seen people accelerate to get over the Holme crossing after the lights have started flashing and barely got underneath. No matter what is used idiots will always try to get by, over or underneath. In the good old days running into the gate would wreck the car but not these lightweight bits of metal and for all I know plastic modern barriers are made from.
John.
The warning lights were not up to standard and therefore not legal and the brightness of the sun was a contributing factor.
The lady who died was middle aged and had her grandchild in the vehicle, who thankfully survived.
The RAIB gave the lights as a Causal Factor. The lady in question faced no blame.
Stuart
Old 3rd November 2013, 11:15

Rail Accident Investigation Branch Moor Bridge crossing first incident

THe RAIB is quite clear that Network Rail has a responsbility to assess the risks of crossings and apply protective measures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-24284737

Rail Accident Investigation Branch Moor Bridge crossing second incident

Last edited by wyvern; 3rd November 2013 at 11:37.
Old 4th November 2013, 13:42

Transport Committee hold second evidence session on safety at level crossings

Quote:
Monday 4 November 2013, Grimond Room, Portcullis House

In the first evidence session for this inquiry, the Committee heard from relatives of level crossing accident victims. The Committee also heard about user behaviour and education, as well as the legal framework and policing of level crossings.
Old 9th November 2013, 00:06

Sorry, but ANY level-crossing is safe, IF used in the correct manner.
Old 9th November 2013, 00:37
Station Manager

Even a two year old knows that a flashing red light means "Danger Stop". A barrier or half barrier also means "Danger Stop". If people feel they can take a chance then that is not the fault of the railway. It is their own fault. The only down side is the effect it has on other people, the driver, passengers, witnesses and those left behind.
Old 9th November 2013, 10:17

I agree with every word you say Sid, people are responsible for their own actions.
P/S, hope your wife is well on her way to a speedy recovery.
Old 10th November 2013, 21:27

Plenty fatal level crossing events have taken place in South Africa too, the most notorious was a taxi driver who was transporting school children, passed all the stationary vehicles and was hit by a train resulting in the deaths of 10 kids. He got 20 years in jail but in my opinion the sentence was too light.
Old 25th November 2013, 22:16

Well today Switzerland had a serious incident here is the report I got with photo

Quote:
A fairly serious accident happened this morning on the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn at an unguarded crossing in Morel (Valais, east of Brig). A delivery van is enter in collision with a local passenger train causing this one to derail and injuries to about 12 peoples (none serious)...and for the time being the line is closed to any traffic, this include the Glacier Express.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/pr...DTHU=w120-h120

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643