23:12

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

An article directed at the HS2 nay-sayers

Old 12th January 2012, 20:39

An article directed at the HS2 nay-sayers

I came across this article 'Why HS2 is a good thing, and how everyone who opposes high speed rail in the UK is missing something fundamental' and it seemed to cover some interesting points.

Quote:
With regard to profitability, cutting out all ‘unprofitable’ services would mean only running peak time trains; but who would use railways if only peak time trains ran? When running rail network, you will always need to run some services at a loss. It’s the very nature of running a clock-face timetable with trains every 20 minutes – it means a comprehensive, seamless service is offered (thereby increasing passengers overall) – and it means rail users can travel when they like. It’s why a fully-privatised railway network would never work, and it’s why we use the franchise system we do today. Train operating companies must, in return for subsidy, adhere to strict guidelines about the service they run, and how they run it. In short – railways do not see a clear cut return on investment in a business sense. Nobody should expect this of HS2 – but it will have far-reaching broader and wider economic benefits, as I will try to explain in this piece.
What do people make of it?

Old 12th January 2012, 21:43

Totally agree and could not have put it better myself! All manner of public transport and the shipment of frieght is the important issue, not making profit! That is the only way to ensure the country as a whole will benefit from investment to provide cheaper goods movements, greener than the polution caused by the road traffic, easier commuting for the public thus generating more jobs ect ect.
Bring it on.
All the best
Phil
Old 13th January 2012, 01:01

What do I think?

Well I have no hesitation of dismissing and ignoring the document authored by Sam England which the OP referenced. Why? I know and understand that HS2 is a very emotive subject, but as a general rule I like many other people always ignore the opinions offered by anyone who resorts to throwing abuse and bad mouthing people who oppose their own point of view. Sadly Mr England finds it necessary to offer personal remarks in his very first paragraph.....

Quote:
Opposers to HS2 just don't understand railways, and are failing to learn from history and look at the overbearing, long term economic benefits railways have given Britain over the past 100 years. 'Anyone who points at a railway and says it has no economic benefit is severely deluded and misguided'
Note my above remark is in no way indicative of my support or otherwise for the HS2 project.

Chris

Last edited by Axe; 13th January 2012 at 01:05.
Old 25th February 2012, 03:21

Little England" is holding the rest of the Nation to ransom! They are the modern day Luddites of our day. Those, that their like, once despised, so have they now become!.....

Ye Shall Not Pass, they cry!.........Let all those beyond north of here perish!

We'd Better build a ruddy wall around 'em then hadn't we?......
Old 25th February 2012, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
, but as a general rule I like many other people always ignore the opinions offered by anyone who resorts to throwing abuse and bad mouthing people who oppose their own point of view. Sadly Mr England finds it necessary

I go by a premise which I find quite enlightening even though I found it in a SciFi novel

Quote:
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

I usually refer the violence as both verbal and physical it fits my Pagan belief of harm no one

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 13th April 2012, 06:32

Madcaravanner!.......You Old Pagan you!

Never formalised:.....but I share in your belief old son!

One more of US, One less of....Them!..
Old 13th April 2012, 20:47

[QUOTE=Madcaravanner;67715]I go by a premise which I find quite enlightening even though I found it in a SciFi novel

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

I like this quote Gray, very apt.
Cheers
Phil