18:39

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

More whistle blowers!

Old 31st March 2010, 23:18

More whistle blowers!

I would like to suggest that the British Transport Police be extended to include the army of track inspectors who physically check the whole track bed and all its component parts. Instead of working for NR these holistic bobbies should report all there findings to a Rail CIA instead of a private organisation which can choose what parts to replace and when or not at all.
Health & Safety has made it possible to bring individuals to task over mistakes and errors of judgement which has led to fatal accidents in the past, but if these inspections were all catalogued centrally for the entire system and acted on systematically then there would be fewer chances of dangerous faults being overlooked. The mechanism would ensure that every part of the system receives full attention and allows for earlier follow up if it finds something has not been processed within the strict time frame for fault repairs.
The holistic bobby would then have the powers to issue a civil summons to NR or its sub-contractor without just re-reporting the same fault if it has not been rectified. I believe that this would protect the whole system from cost-cutting abuse which seems to be driving the current dispute and worrying so many people. What do you think?

Old 5th April 2010, 06:56

So far 40 lookers but no comments. Maybe the next ballet will be more of a knife edge result but if safety is the real issue here I would have thought that a landslide vote in favour would have been on the cards!
Old 5th April 2010, 09:58

I didn't realise we were supposed to comment.........I thought it was an April Fools Joke
Old 5th April 2010, 10:02

It dont take much to confuse me but i am lost on this one .

ccmmick.

Old 5th April 2010, 12:21

take your point that safety needs to be monitered and recorded, don't understand the rest though. Sorry.
Richard
Old 5th April 2010, 12:28

Having re read the original post, I would have to agree that the "policing" of safety matters should not be with the track operator.

It is too easy for things to get left, postponed or otherwise not dealt with if safety matters are subject to cost constraints.

So therefore it makes a nonsense of safety related matters being controlled by "for profit" companies.
Old 5th April 2010, 20:13

Thank you Philip for your understanding of why the Unions think they have a case against NR and possibly why they are right to take this action. I can see why people might think it was an april fool (I hadnt intended that, but it did make me smile).
There is no strictly independent policing of the rail network and I felt it was necessary to make the point that faults are easily 'overlooked' after an inspection has taken place, especially if the numbers of staff are being reduced - where are these cuts happening?

Tags
inspection, network rail, police, safety