09:50

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Stratford Yard

Old 13th March 2014, 09:49

Stratford Yard

I am not 100% sure if I have posted this thread in the correct section, but seems the best place for it.

I also am not sure the rules on posting youtube video's so I will just wait for a bit.

But I was browsing youtube yesterday and found some lovely video's around Stratford Yard in the late 90s early 2000s, by that time the yard was a mess but they are a great historical record of the last years from one of the best known yards in the UK.

There are some views of the goods trains leaving via Stratford station, then some videos of journeys around.

Also a lot of lovely footage of walking around the yards.

I know the yards were dying by this point, but its still a nice reference of them before being turned into an Olympic stadium

Don't know if they have been posted before or if I am allowed to post the link to the playlist.

Let me know. Worth a look

Old 13th March 2014, 21:57

Its not down to me, but, I can't see what's wrong with posting Youtube links as they are already in the public domain. Anyone with PC/laptop/tablet etc can access them.
Old 13th March 2014, 22:18

I too feel sure adding a link won't cause any problems as they often appear on FB in some form or other.
Cheers
Phil
Old 14th March 2014, 09:38

Cheers guys.

This is the link then to the first of eight in this play list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A33vT...gzZTO5LKUqj7J-

This is a brilliant look at the Stratford Yard before it was closed forever. It has seen better days at this stage but are still an historic piece of footage.
Old 14th March 2014, 21:58

Very busy then. Interesting even for a steam head like me!!
Cheers
Phil
Old 14th March 2014, 23:49

It always intrigues me that all the loco's were left ticking over even in the sheds.

Was this just because it was more efficient that keep switching them on and off do we think.
Old 15th March 2014, 04:47

Thank you for posting Steveaki13. I would never have found these in a million years, and although historical they are most interesting - they have kept me absorbed for some time, and far better than any offerings on today's TV!
Old 18th March 2014, 00:44

One of my late Grandfathers worked at Stratford back in the days of steam, yet despite my interest in railways, he would Never talk to me about it.

When the OHL were said to have been energised, an employee was said to have been killed and some seven steam train drivers resigned there and then, but how true, I know Not. Perhaps somebody can confirm whether or not this is true please?
Old 23rd March 2014, 09:21

These films were at the latter end of a National Railway, just before we got privatisation and bully boy managers, and the wholesale destruction of the railways and staff cuts.
Old 23rd March 2014, 09:58

Smile

One of the chaps who go to Stafford station on a Tuesday, was a very keen spotter in the fifties and sixties, he told me that on Stratford shed and yard there could be up to 400?? engines on a Sunday, apparently Stratford had the largest allocation of loco's on BR, - - - can anyone confirm this? or is it a myth.