16:30

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

No Buckeye.

Old 8th July 2014, 09:18

Smile No Buckeye.

Just got back from a holiday in Austria, visiting the narrow gauge railways of the Tyrol which we really enjoyed. We also travelled on the standard main line ( Munich to Milan) i was amazed to find that our electric loco was fitted with a shackle and screw! on the draw bar, and not the safer buckeye coupler, does anyone know why they use this old fashioned haulage system? also i was amused when the driver lit up a fag in the cab, are our drivers allowed to smoke whilst driving?

Old 8th July 2014, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith morgan View Post
Just got back from a holiday in Austria, visiting the narrow gauge railways of the Tyrol which we really enjoyed. We also travelled on the standard main line ( Munich to Milan) i was amazed to find that our electric loco was fitted with a shackle and screw! on the draw bar, and not the safer buckeye coupler, does anyone know why they use this old fashioned haulage system?
Hi Keith. Often buckeyes and shackles can be interchanged. It's possible that your loco had it on for a specific reason. I'd be surprised if they used shackles universally because as we all know, buckeyes are much less work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith again
also i was amused when the driver lit up a fag in the cab, are our drivers allowed to smoke whilst driving?
If you mean on the mainline railway - absolutely not !: Tis the law of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.gov.uk/smoking-at-work-the-law

Smoking at work: the law

Smoking isn’t allowed in any enclosed workplace, public building or on public transport in the UK.

Penalty for smoking in the workplace
Workers can be fined up to £200, or up to £50 in Scotland.

The law doesn’t apply to e-cigarettes. Employers can decide if they can be used on their premises.

What businesses must do
Businesses must:

display ‘no smoking’ signs in all workplaces and vehicles - make sure people don’t smoke in enclosed work premises or shared vehicles
I didn't know the bit about E-cigarettes being OK. I saw an RPI instruct a passenger to stop using one on a train recently. I shall have a discrete word with him when I see him next and tell him he to look at the website mentioned above.

Hope this helps, BW
Old 9th July 2014, 10:37

For standard gauge loco-hauled stock the screw coupler is still the standard throughout Europe except for Russia where a type of auto coupler is in use.
Changing to buckeyes or something similar has been considered over the years but because of the number of vehicles involved the cost would be far too great for very little gain. Screw couplers are perfectly suited to European train weights and in many respects can be more flexible.
Old 9th July 2014, 19:48

Thanks for the info John, i didn't realise the screw shackle was the norm, but as i always say, "every day is a school day".
Old 10th July 2014, 16:48

I remember a derailment on the GWML in the sixties due to track buckling. The buckeye couplers were credited with keeping the majority of coaches upright.
Old 23rd July 2014, 08:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith morgan View Post
Just got back from a holiday in Austria, visiting the narrow gauge railways of the Tyrol which we really enjoyed. We also travelled on the standard main line ( Munich to Milan) i was amazed to find that our electric loco was fitted with a shackle and screw! on the draw bar, and not the safer buckeye coupler, does anyone know why they use this old fashioned haulage system? also i was amused when the driver lit up a fag in the cab, are our drivers allowed to smoke whilst driving?
You will find that nearly (if not all) locomotive hauled passenger stock in the UK are coupled up with a "screw coupling" between the loco and stock,the stock is usually fitted throughout by buckeyes.However there are several freight trains that use an automatic coupler between the loco and vehicles.