20:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Fleetwood station c1890

Old 22nd July 2010, 15:44

Fleetwood station c1890

Robert Eaves, my 2xgtgrandfather was a station porter at Fleetwood station in the mid to late 1800s. I know it was common practice for railway companies to record stations and their personnel from this period. Can anyone recall seeing a picture in a book etc from this time?

Old 22nd July 2010, 23:24

ANOTHER man who can't use Google ! The link below may interest you ...

http://www.rossallbeach.co.uk/wyrerailway.htm

PS you may already know about it, in which case why didn't you say so ?
Old 24th July 2010, 11:19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Pilot 47472 View Post
Robert Eaves, my 2xgtgrandfather was a station porter at Fleetwood station in the mid to late 1800s. I know it was common practice for railway companies to record stations and their personnel from this period. Can anyone recall seeing a picture in a book etc from this time?
Hope you find what you are looking for mate, interesting info there.I will check in my library upstairs
and if I find anything I will let you know.
All the best with it.

Old 30th July 2010, 02:57

Didnt no fleetwood had station,interesting.....seen some old tracks at Thornton,bit over grown.....
Old 30th July 2010, 10:51

I can just about remember the station before demolision. It was quite substantial with several platforms and situated on the quayside giving access to the Isle of Man steamers.
The facade of the station's hotel - the North Euston - was a mini replica of the Doric columns used on the approach to the London terminus. The hotel still stands proud to this day, although a little tired looking, overlooking Morecambe Bay.
Fleetwood takes its name from Peter Hesketh-Fleetwood, the town's founder, and was probably Britain's first "model town" with all the streets being laid out to the plan of Decimus Burton, Hesketh's architect. Burton directed the surveying of the roads, which radiate out from the Mount, by directing a man guiding a horse and plough.
Although Fleetwood is now a little depressed, if you are ever in the Fylde area, get a tram from Blackpool, which will take you through the resort's streets, then alight at Fleetwood, purchase a town trail and you'll discover a wealth of rail and maritime history. And it's well worth the effort.
David.