20:06

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Help Needed Please

Old 28th July 2007, 20:57
Station Manager

Help Needed Please

OK modellers I need help with DCC. I have thought long and hard about what I will be doing when I start up my '00' gauge layout and I have looked at a number of options. I think I will model on the Avon Valley Railway as it has a good mix of town and country. So, what is the problem? Well as nearly all my new '00' locos are DCC ready and I have made up my mind that I will go into DCC. So which type should I use? I have looked at Hornby, Zimo' NCE, Lenz, Gaugemaster, Digitrax, ZTC, Bachmann and even some of the ones from Europe. I just can't make up my mind.
Please could you tell me what you have tried or used and how you would rate it for ease of use, cost and reliability. Thanks
Syd

Old 29th July 2007, 18:47

Syd,
I don't know much about the particular characteristics of DCC systems but from what I have read Digitrax and Lenz would appear to be the market leaders.
What DCC features appeal to you most?
Old 29th July 2007, 19:42
Station Manager

I think I like Digitrax as it looks as if it will do all that I need, yet it is not over the top price wise. I'm also looking at the ZTC. I like their 4000 range of decoders which are plug & play for DCC ready locos and come in @ £12:50each.
Syd
Old 30th July 2007, 00:35

Model Rail has been running a series for quite a while now on DCC. I've probably got all of them so I'll have a go at digging them out. Hopefully I'll then be able to pass on any advice.
Old 30th July 2007, 19:42
Station Manager

Which system would you use Trev?
Syd
Old 30th July 2007, 20:56

Dcc

Hi Syd,
I am afraid I know nothing about DCC, apart from it is absolutely brilliant from what I have seen.
I would be inclined to go to local exhibitions and talk to the people who are running layouts with DCC and ask them what they would recommend.
If you go to a local shop I feel they will try and sell you what "they" want you to have.
Have you any model railway clubs near you?
They may be able to help you.
Old 30th July 2007, 21:10
Station Manager

Thanks Paul.
At this years Bristol Model Railway show I did just that. Trouble is that everyone said that the system they were using was the best apart from one man who said that Hornby's Select was rubbish. I think that some of them did not want me to think they had made a mistake. That is why I asked the question on this forum. I know that the answers I get will be members honest opinion or like you they will say they do not know.
Syd
Old 8th August 2007, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011 View Post
Which system would you use Trev?
In my case Syd, it would have to be the one which was the most idiot proof!!!

But from what I have read, the best one appears to be the ZTC. It seems to be the one that gets the best reviews.
Old 9th August 2007, 19:10

I recently changed over to DCC and before doing so studied (and tried) several systems at exhibitions. The best for me was definitely NCE PowerCab, a good price, VERY easy to use (I knew nothing about DCC), and expandable, if neccessary.

I am very happy with my decision, and really enjoy running sound equipped locomotives - well, so far I have only done a class 37. But a 31 and an 08 are next.
Old 16th December 2007, 18:58

Red face DCC choice?

Hi there people..........I'm ikabod,my first posting

Mainly to modeller dsy011 and any others I can help.
Just purchased a mid range ZTC system It is very easy to use and very versitile...as in understanding the set up! not so with a lot of other DCC manufactures? Hope this helps. Something good has got to come from the UK.........................(like China)EG RTR models...never been so good. We used to dread things made in ''Hong Kong''..?

spelling ......