12:33

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

My layout part 2

Old 3rd April 2010, 13:34

Hi,

My Iron Cattle Van is now complete, although I still need to make some decals for it. So far its not been a great success.

Only one of these wagons was built for GWR and it survived into the mid 1930's. I still need to try and drill out the various holes that went in the sides. I tried one side but couldn't get them in a straight line so filled them in again. I need to try and make some sort of template for drilling the holes.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iron cattle.jpg (103.3 KB, 6 views)

Old 3rd April 2010, 16:40

Hi Alex congratulations you work fast, my projects take ages
Old 3rd April 2010, 21:06

Hi Belmont,

Although I work long hours I try to do some modelling most nights. Even if its only 30 mins or adding a coat or two of paint. It all adds up. Most of my conversions are relativley straight forward and only take about 5-6 hours in total, although this can stretch over a couple of weeks.

It's the same with my layout. If I can go out and add some scatter or lay a hedge it all adds to the progress.

Alex
Old 9th May 2010, 15:20

Hi,

Although it's been a while since my last post progress continues on the layout.

Some piccies below.

The lower level is being detailed and my country siding is almost complete. It has a cattle dock, coal depot and small platform for the local farm, which is just to the right of the platform.

My engineering works has been moved to the bottom of the layout and this is what you see when you open the shed door. The wagons on the end of the J94 are all scratch built and are mounted of Peco 9ft chassis.

Finally some pics of my latest purchases. I won 2 North British gunpowder vans from Ebay and they have been suitably weathered. Next is a County Rolling Stock limited edition GWR gunpowder van. And finally a N Gauge Society gunpowder van. Decals are home made.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCL.jpg (145.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg RGC rear.jpg (108.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg NB Gunpowder.jpg (113.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg CRS-001P.jpg (101.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg GWR Gunpowder.jpg (110.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 10th May 2010, 08:44

Very nice Alex, I enjoy these pictures are the locos kits?
Old 10th May 2010, 18:06

Hi Blmont,

Thanks for the kind words.

The engines are both from Grafar. The green one is a 0-6-0 general purpose tank and the brown one is a J94 Austerity. Both were bought from E-bay. The J94 was originally green and called something like 'Sir Robert'. It has received a brown paintjob to look like an Austerity from the Wemyss Private Railway (WPR). Still to find suitable decals.

I have another of the green engines that is undergoing major surgery to turn it into a Barcaly 0-6-0T that was also used by the WPR. I started it in January but it has been put to one side at the moment. Not enough hours to do what I want to do.

I'd like to do a couple of engines as used by the North British Railway but I'm not sure if any are available as either kits or ready built. I have seen one that I may be able to convert from the Grafar 0-6-0 GP tank. So that may be next on my to do list.

Alex
Old 10th May 2010, 20:16

this sounds and looks like it is going to be a good layout.
when it is finished i hope to see it at some exhibitions

Abellio Greater Anglia (Ilford Depot)
Old 10th May 2010, 21:58

Hi,

Sorry, it won't be at any exhibitions. It's a permament fixture in an 8x6 shed. There are some photos of the layout in my gallery.

My next plan, for next year, is to fit another narrow (6-8inch wide) layout above the backscene. This will be for a couple of American trains. My layout is 4ft off the ground so the new one will be about 4ft 8". At this height all of the 4ft layout will still be seen as will the upper one.

I've started collecting rolling stock and one train will be Burlington Northern and the other will be Baltimore and Ohio. The plan is to have narrow passes, tunnels and split levels, plus the trains will travel in opposite directions and cross each other via tunnels and bridges.

Piccies of the Baltimore and Ohio coaches below. At the moment they are being pulled by my Black 5 but I have a B&O engine on order. I picked them up at a train show at the weekend for a fiver each. They consist of a luggage, Pullman, Resturant and an Observation coach.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B&O1.jpg (97.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg B&O2.jpg (115.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg B&O3.jpg (115.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg B&O4.jpg (116.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg B&O5.jpg (121.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 11th July 2010, 18:29

Hi,

A couple of conversions I'm working on. One is an Oxford Anglia with the bonnet open and a scratchbuilt engine bay. The other is a coal truck with a hopper body. They were quite common during the mid 80's around our way. They used to deliver coal to ex-miners.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anglia engine.jpg (75.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg coal tanker.jpg (96.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 12th July 2010, 11:36
Station Manager

Like the coaches, missed them first time around. The Anglia looks fantastic - you nust have good eyesight!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.