22:39

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Pics of air-raid damage,1943- but where?

Old 8th August 2012, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Fred View Post
Hi, I have recently been looking through my Great Uncle's wartime photos, which he took while serving as a bomb disposal boffin at the Air Ministry.The enclosed series of photos were taken I think in early 1943, and I'm guessing in the South East due to the Maidstone number plate on the squashed car, but I would love to know where the incident occured. I have read that the Germans were launching hit-and-run attacks on rail installations at the time. If anyone could supply any info at all on the area or the engines in the pics, I would be most grateful as the photos are turning into an obsession!
Many thanks, Fred (There are a few more pics if they are of interest)
Hi Fred
I found this on the internet and hope it may prove useful:

Carter Paterson (CP) was a British road haulage firm, closely associated with the railway industry.
It was founded in 1860, formed into a private company (Carter, Paterson & Co., Ltd.) in 1887, and converted into a public company in February 1934. In October 1933, the Big Four railway companies purchased control of the company in equal shares. Its head office was at 128 Goswell Road, London EC1.[1]
Ownership passed on nationalisation to the British Transport Commission and CP was subsequently absorbed into British Road Services.

They were based in East London so presumably covered the south east areas.
Hope this helps
All the best
Phil

Old 14th August 2012, 17:55

I managed to get permission to look at the railway works at the weekend and took some pictures....These two are of the power house and you can see repaired brickwork matching the damage of the wartime attack!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power house arw.jpg (134.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg power house 2 arw.jpg (127.2 KB, 9 views)