11:36

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Help please - Lake District to London Route 1909

Old 26th March 2015, 14:08

Red face Help please - Lake District to London Route 1909

Hello everyone!

I'm still a train amateur and a research assistant to a historical fiction author. I've been trying to find out details about what route someone would have taken from the Lake District to London in 1909, specifically which stations they would have gone to and what changes they would have made.

From my research so far, I am guessing that someone travelling from Esthwaite Water would have taken the Windermere Branch Line from Windermere Station, then changed at Oxenholme, to perhaps then take West Coast Main Line south to London Euston.

I know that at the time, Lake Windermere was a very popular destination for visitors from London, so I was wondering if there was perhaps a more direct route?

I've already been in touch with the National Rail museum, but they only said I should come to York to look at their archived timetables, which I'm unable to do.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thank you!
Ella
Researcher and Train Novice

Old 4th April 2015, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellam View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm still a train amateur and a research assistant to a historical fiction author. I've been trying to find out details about what route someone would have taken from the Lake District to London in 1909, specifically which stations they would have gone to and what changes they would have made.

From my research so far, I am guessing that someone travelling from Esthwaite Water would have taken the Windermere Branch Line from Windermere Station, then changed at Oxenholme, to perhaps then take West Coast Main Line south to London Euston.

I know that at the time, Lake Windermere was a very popular destination for visitors from London, so I was wondering if there was perhaps a more direct route?

I've already been in touch with the National Rail museum, but they only said I should come to York to look at their archived timetables, which I'm unable to do.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thank you!
Ella
Researcher and Train Novice
Ella

Welcome to the Forum and yes, I think this is exactly the route they would have taken.

Ian
Old 5th April 2015, 09:50

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
Not entirely a nailed on certainty that the change at Oxenholme is the only option. It is quite possible that a London bound traveller around that time would have been able to use a through train, or at least a through coach attached to another train, to London without the need to change at Oxenholme.

As Windermere had through services beyond Oxenhome to Lancashire it is possibile that the traveller would change at Preston or even Lancaster which would have a greater frequency of London bound trains than were available at Oxenholme.

KEN
Old 17th April 2015, 13:40

when did the lakeside connection with the steamer start .? where would the trains to lakeside originate?
Old 17th April 2015, 18:20

The Lakeside line opened in 1869 so it would be perfectly feasible to take a lake steamer from Windermere pier or local boat from the Hawkshead Ferry Stage down the lake and get on a train at Lakeside Station.
However a change would be required at Ulverston as the junction faced the wrong way.

The more logical route would be as stated from Windermere to Oxenholme and direct service to London.

http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/
Old 18th April 2015, 12:53

Bit late for this reply probably but funny you should say 1909, there is currently (17 April) a copy of a reprinted Bradshaws guide from 1910 on ebay open for bidding. I managed to get a copy recently & it's fascinating, would certainly aid your research.

Tags
1900s, historical, lakedistrict, route, wcml