12:57

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Working on a Heritage Railway

Old 18th March 2011, 16:44

Working on a Heritage Railway

Just wondered if they pay Travel Expenses at all or if there is any Help from the GOverment with payiong travel expenses to Vouluntry Workers.

Old 18th March 2011, 17:22

In a word, John. No. If you volunteer, you are responsible for your own expenses. Some Railways will offer a discount on certain items to working members, but as for paying expenses, forget it. I spent several years helping out on 70000 and never got anything in return. (Except "Thank You" when the job was done.) I never expected anything either. 60+ miles each way Loughborough to Bridgnorth and back each time, I was lucky that there were a few of us in the area and we could split the petrol money between us.

Regards, 62440

Last edited by 62440; 18th March 2011 at 17:30.
Old 18th March 2011, 17:40

Hi John, its exactly as 62440 says, all the expenses come out of your own pocket although a lot of people do share transport costs if they live in the same area.
It is slightly worse for me as a part owner of 45337 money tends to fly out of my wallet on a regular basis along with the other owners.
One thing though it is worth it in the long run, and if I could turn the clock back I would still do it again

Cheers John
Old 18th March 2011, 18:07
Station Manager

Volunteering on a Heritage Railway tends to cost you money! Protective Clothing and getting there for starters! Then you often end up buying shares or making donations. In return you get lots of satisfaction and it keeps you off the streets etc.!

The one bonus is the Heritage Railway Pass which, for £22 per year, gets you reduced or even free travel for two people on most other Heritage Railways.

Best wishes,

John H-T
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 18th March 2011, 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
Volunteering on a Heritage Railway tends to cost you money! Protective Clothing and getting there for starters! Then you often end up buying shares or making donations. In return you get lots of satisfaction and it keeps you off the streets etc.!

The one bonus is the Heritage Railway Pass which, for £22 per year, gets you reduced or even free travel for two people on most other Heritage Railways.

Best wishes,

John H-T
As a member of a preserved railway, you are classed as an employee and as such, your employer is the preseved railway.
Any such PPE should be supplied free of charge from that employer. Should you injure yourself whilst so volunteering the railway is responsible for maintaning a safe working environment.
This is just the same as if you worked For a FOC or a passenger railway, and could be open to an employee making a claim for an accident at work.
PPE for traincrew would be heavy duty gloves, protective clothing and footware, and the provision of hard hats when going under the sole bar level when hooking on and off.
Above all Hi viz clothing, which some people on preseved railway do not
wear.EG Great Central Railway.
Old 19th March 2011, 01:46

On the preserved lines we don't take the company for everything we can get. We give the company all the support we can afford. That means the company will still be there next year, the year after and for countless years hence. Just look at how the preserved linespulled together to help the Severn Valley when the line was damaged in 44 different places by flooding and washouts. Just consider how the preserved lines are pulling together to help out the Gloucester-Warwickshire line after they had two major embankment collapses. No, we don't expect to be given PPE, If we get into a position where we need it we BUY IT OURSELVES.

Old 25th March 2011, 13:32

Surley there is isome assistans form th e goverment to help with expenses for Voulnteer Workers.
Old 25th March 2011, 16:03

The government provide no allowances whatsoever for voluntary workers. On the railway where I volunteer, our only assistance is that occasionally some hi-vis clothing is donated to the line by one of the mainline rail companies, which is in turn distributed to those volunteers who need it.

Chris
Old 25th March 2011, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
Surley there is isome assistans form th e goverment to help with expenses for Voulnteer Workers.

and if you are unlucky enough to be claiming certain benefits.....then opposite is true!

it could be said that if you are volunteering, then you are fit enough to work.....and if you are volunteering then you are not "actively looking for work" and when on duty then you are actively "not available for work"

I've been in the latter situation ...... (but, it was a few years ago!)
Old 28th March 2011, 00:53

Get paid travelling expenses as a Volunteer? You ARE seriously having us on Mate. I volunteer at my Own expense, because I LOVE doing what I do and despite trying to survive on a pittance of an income the So-Called Government, 'THINK' I can, yet fail to try it themselves.