10:16

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Train drivers 'fell asleep' when passing signals near Reading

Old 30th September 2016, 20:29
Station Manager

Train drivers 'fell asleep' when passing signals near Reading

Two freight trains went through red lights because drivers were too tired, an investigation has found.

An investigation was launched after two trains running from Acton to Westbury drove through a signal near Reading.

Both drivers said they momentarily fell asleep on approaching the signals. The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) said inadequate rest facilities at Acton were partly to blame.

The drivers' employer, DB Cargo UK, said new facilities had been installed.

Both incidents involved a "signal passed at danger" - when a train passes a stop signal without authority to do so.

The first happened on 28 March 2015 when a driver went through a red light to the west of Reading station.

The second was on 3 November at the Ruscombe Junction in Berkshire.

'Robust processes'

Neither incident resulted in injury or damage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-37507191

The RAIB investigation concluded the drivers had suffered from fatigue because they had not obtained sufficient sleep, which was in part due to rest facilities not being fit for purpose.

It added they were nearing the end of a long night shift.

The final report called for changes in covering shift planning at Westbury depot, fatigue management and identification of fatigue risk.

Lee Bayliss, from the company, said roster issues had been addressed in addition to changing facilities at Acton.

He added: "Fatigue is an issue we take very seriously and we have implemented robust processes and policies to manage it."

Old 1st October 2016, 01:29

Surely a Cab alarm could be devised that receives a signal from a Red,one that needs to be cancelled .Having worked nights myself I know how easy it is to fall asleep,usually between 0200 and 0400 is the worst time.
Old 1st October 2016, 10:43

So it doesn't only happen in aviation. It is a complicated problem working irregular shifts and not good for one's health either
Old 1st October 2016, 21:00
Station Manager

I have to admit to waking up to the sound of my driver firing, but this was on a 42 hour shift. No relive was able to get to us as we were stuck just over the Victoria Falls bridge in Zambia. We spent 42 hours at the siding before we were aloud to take the train in to Livingstone. This was all due to customs & Immigration wanting to make passenger's walk back to Vic. Falls as they were not welcome into Zambia. About 95% of the passenger's were African. As it was a passenger train, there was a dinning car on the train, so we were feed, but there was nowhere for us to sleep as the train was full. We were aloud to detach the loco and run into Livingston to take on Water and coal on condition that we returned and re-joined the train.
Old 2nd October 2016, 10:02

I'm not sure that much has changed in that part of the world. Too bad because all the countries in the region could have a good tourism market if they work together. Imagine a Cape to Cairo train. I think that there is rail connections as far as Zambia with Rovos Rail but tourists don't want to go there.
Old 3rd October 2016, 21:55
Station Manager

Zambia has the Victoria Falls and some very good game parks. I also found that the people of Zambia are very friendly.