07:44

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hello ("drive a steam engine experience" advice needed)

Old 8th June 2010, 10:47

Hello, welcome to the forum. Chasewater railway do driver experiences, which are the lower cost, good value end of the market. Don't know of anyone not enjoying them.
Richard

Old 8th June 2010, 13:50
Registered Member

Hello

Hello Silver Fox Phil and welcome to the Railway Forum.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:44

Hi Siver Fox Phil and welcome to the forum, regarding the FXP I think you have to do your research and decide what you want, I have never done an "organised" one but I have spoken to a lot of people who have and they have made their choice for a number of reasons eg, cost, travelling distance, favourite heritage railway, or the oppurtunity of maybe driving their favourite locomotive.
I have never heard anybody complain about any of these courses so wherever you go enjoy it Phil.
Its a good idea to drop hints you would like one of these courses as a birthday/christmas present!!!!

Cheers John
Old 8th June 2010, 19:53

I did mine 10 years ago at the GCR,the railway is only a mile away.A Brillant day right from the word go.Started with introductions a tour of the Museum and the engine sheds an explanation of the signalling systems etc.Lunch on board a train(not a dining car), next came footplate trips and then Driving.I shared the footplate with another chap so had about 6 footplate rides, a great experience.there was also free entrance for my family,my eldest daughter even managed to blag a footplate ride while the engine was running around the train at Leicester North.All in all a fantastic day the railway staff couldn't have been more obliging,just one more thing enjoy the day where ever you do it, it'll stay with for the rest of your life.
Derek

Last edited by wyberton; 8th June 2010 at 19:55.
Old 11th June 2010, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyberton View Post
I did mine 10 years ago at the GCR,the railway is only a mile away.A Brillant day right from the word go.Started with introductions a tour of the Museum and the engine sheds an explanation of the signalling systems etc.Lunch on board a train(not a dining car), next came footplate trips and then Driving.I shared the footplate with another chap so had about 6 footplate rides, a great experience.there was also free entrance for my family,my eldest daughter even managed to blag a footplate ride while the engine was running around the train at Leicester North.All in all a fantastic day the railway staff couldn't have been more obliging,just one more thing enjoy the day where ever you do it, it'll stay with for the rest of your life.
Derek
Thanks for the info, after doing a lot of research I think I will go with the GCR and let you all know of my experience. Watch this space.
Old 11th June 2010, 22:44

Thanks, I have decided to run with the GCR and look forward to a great day out. I will let you all know of my experience. Look out for my comments later on.
Old 11th June 2010, 22:46

Thanks for your help.
Old 11th June 2010, 22:47

Good job I'm semi-retired!!
Old 20th June 2010, 10:46

Steam engine driving

I had a great day two years ago doing the Severn Valley Railway driving course.
I found the driving easier than the firing , which is hot and hard work!
Because of the heat I would recommend you take some decent protective gloves and wear some stout shoes (I have some work type shoes with hard toe caps, these are ideal). It's not essential, but a hat could be useful too.
Hope you enjoy your course.
Old 21st June 2010, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fox Phil View Post
Hello to you all.
I am about to take a "drive a steam engine experience" and wondered if anyone has any views as to the best venue for a first occasion?
Many thanks
Enjoy your drive its a fantastic feeling being in charge of a loco firing can be hard,but why not volunter on the railway you do the the driving on its a great thing to do and keeps a railway running.