13:32

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Quintishell

Old 17th December 2009, 23:27

How could this happen in broad daylight - or was it thick fog?? Too many people were totally absent minded and those type of people dont last long in a combat situation so its just as well they were not fighting any wars. God what a horrible way to die for those poor soldiers - its enough to give one nightmares. I had never heard of this one before and I have read up on quite a few messes over the years. Couldnt happen nowadays of course!

Old 18th December 2009, 10:14

Thats how it was stated in the inquiry,but as I say, there does appear to be speculation. I would like to trace a book published on this speculation and purely from an interest point of view look at the local rumours that seem to focus around some compensation claims , the very short sentences (for the time) 18 months and the immediate re-instatement of the two men which does perhaps suggest that there was more to this.
Old 18th December 2009, 10:21

Just to reply to the latest post yes it was grizly with several disturbing reports. Some good did come from it with track circuiting insallations being sped up after the war.
Old 18th December 2009, 19:19

I heard it was the solders who staged the accident.
Remember that the western fornt was hell on earth and some soldiers may have crashed the trains so they could be presumed dead and start a new life.
It worked for Robert Maxwell and since they found his skull was female Hitler too.
Old 18th December 2009, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
I heard it was the solders who staged the accident.
Remember that the western fornt was hell on earth and some soldiers may have crashed the trains so they could be presumed dead and start a new life.
I just cannot believe that there is one ounce (or gram ) of truth in that suggestion. In fact I was shocked to see it in print.
Old 18th December 2009, 20:31

Sorry about that.

My great great great great grandafter was on that train.
A Joseph Bazley (not from the Finney side obviously) and we cannot find his grave anywhere.
We have his records to show his movements but there is no clear record of his death.
Old 19th December 2009, 00:49

As a student, I have free access to the Times Archive, and I've found quite a few contemporary sources there for the Quintinshill disaster. Unfortunately I can't work out how to cut 'n' paste from the archive....I suspect it would upset Murdoch if I did! But if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to have a look through the articles and see what I can come up with.
Old 19th December 2009, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by klordger1900 View Post
How could this happen in broad daylight - or was it thick fog?? Too many people were totally absent minded
From the Enquiry...The Times May 26 1915.

Colonel Druitt. "Did you make use of the lever collars?"

Signalman Meakin. "No, it is very seldom we use them."
Old 19th December 2009, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
My great great great great grandafter was on that train.
How on EARTH can your great great great great grandfather have been on a train in 1915? I'm 60, and MY g-g-g-g grandfather was born in 1755, it's highly unlikely he ever got to SEE a train, let alone live to the ripe old age of 160 and actually TRAVEL on one! Even my brother's kids' (both under 10) g-g-g-g grandfather was born around 1772. I fear an element of error may have slipped into your calculations SFE. Merry Christmas anyway.
Old 19th December 2009, 10:56

I think it would have been extremely difficult for any passenger to stage a rail accident of that magnitude. However, I have been delving further and it is the short prison terms and the re-instatement by the Caledonian Railway that has given rise to local suspicion of perhaps some company liability - such as in the Manor House accident in 1892. These men were working 12 hour shifts on the west coast mainline in wartime. any personal or work related problems could have caused this - but as there was little public interest in wartime perhaps this was conveniently covered up.