10:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Trip to Nottingham on 16/02/2008

Old 6th February 2008, 10:51

Trip to Nottingham on 16/02/2008

Iam planning a trip to Nottingham on the above date and was hoping to catch the 08.02 EMT Service from Hunts Cross and would like to ask anyone who knows if this deffinatley stops at Hunts Cross as i live on the S/Port to Hunts Cross Line and it would save all th ehusstle of changing trains in Liverpool.

Also does anyone know anything about the Nottingham Tram mainly if there is a day ticket for it as i was looking at there web site a while ago and couldent understand the way they set it out so if anyone knows thenn please help.

Old 6th February 2008, 11:12

Hi John,
You can buy a day ticket on the tram and I am pretty sure that this covers you for buses in the city as well. The tram starts/terminates just outside the Nottingham Midland station. Actually it runs on the only bit of Great Central viaduct left untouched for about 100 yards , it then goes onto a new viaduct before taking to the streets.
I think the ticket is about £2.40p, that is what we pay when we go park and ride using the tram from the other end of the line at Phoenix Park.
It is worth a ride all the way because you run off the streets again and run alongside the "Robin Hood" line.
Just before you get to Phoenix Park, which is an industrial estate by the way built on an old colliery, you pass under an old railway bridge which I think is one of the oldest railway structures in the area. I really must get my local history up to scratch.
I cannot help you with the train details I am afraid, but let me know when you are coming to Nottingham, and grandchild sitting duties allowing, I will show you a few of the local railway relics if I can. I am not one of the relics by the way.
Paul.
Old 6th February 2008, 11:13

Hi John,
Just seen that you are coming on the 16th. That would be fine if you want to meet up.
Paul.
Old 6th February 2008, 11:37

Yes paul thank you very mutch all being well i will be there on the 16th train is scheduled to Arrive in Nottingham at 10.24am.

If you you send me a Private message i will give you my phone number etc and we can arrange to meet as it would be most interesting to see old railway relics.

My main mision is to ride on the tram but i do like to see old railway buildings etc.
Old 6th February 2008, 12:29

Hope these sites are of use?
http://www.thetram.net/
http://www.thetrams.co.uk/net/whoswho.php

And if you enjoy the odd pint?
http://www.thetram.net/attractions/b...am/default.asp
Also of interest.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/cont...allery.shtml?2

Last edited by Bubblewrap; 6th February 2008 at 16:40.
Old 6th February 2008, 13:13

If you've not been to Nottingham before you can access station street tram stop from the footbridge off the platforms of Nottingham station.
I'm Nottingham born & bred but have not lived there for a number of years.
I visit Nottingham quite often so if there is any information you want I may be able to help!

Last edited by Bubblewrap; 6th February 2008 at 16:44.
Old 14th February 2008, 13:12

Hi John,
I have tried to send you a personal message but dont know if you have got it or not. If you are still coming to Nottingham on Saturday morning can you let me know please.
Take care,
Paul.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:41

Sorry Paul i didnt get round to sending you a messgae back but did go to Nottingham and had a good day out.

I traveled on the 07.47 East Midlands Trains Service from Liverpool Lime Street to Nottingham which was operated by 158 865 which wasent all that comfortable.

It was ok as far as Manchester but beyond that i wasent very comfortable a not mutch padding on the seats for such a long joureny plus it was i bit drughty as i had to keep my ht on all the way plus the heaters wernt all that good.

I was quite impresed buy the trams altogh i only really took a trip to HUKNALL and back to Nottingham Stn.

For the jouney back lucly i managed a ride on Medrian 222 020 From Nottingham to Shefield for which i was very impresed with as it was very comfortable, clean, tidy mutch an improvement on the voyager mainley with the seating being mutch better as they seem to be proper seats wide and reasonabley padded.

I just cant see why EMT cant run these on the Liverpool-Nottingham rote they would be mutch more suited they could even run a service from London St Pancrise to Liverpool via Shefild etc as it runs the same route from Shefild to Nottingham as the Liverpool service.

I traveled on Transpennie Express Service from Shefield to Manchester Piccadilly which was packed to the rafters seriousley over crowded needed to be six cars but only three FTPE seem to be abit like Northern pack em all in like sardeens policy this is why i think it would be good if EMT could run a Service from London St Pancriase to L/Pool as it would take some presure off the FTPE route.

I was waiting to see what train came in for the 15.37 EMT service from MAN PIC to L/Pool and i was pleaently surprised when Loanded unit 158 887 came in so i decided to get on it which was aslo packed out comming in to Manchester and out as far as Warrington very nice units to travel on are the SWT refurbed 158's.

If it wasent one of these i would have probably come back via the ATW Service as far as Earlestown /Newton Le Willows which would have given me a ride on a 175.

My origional plan wa to come back Via Derby and Crewe but i chose the medrian instead as it was the first time i had been on one of these and as i say was well impressed and a good day out.
Old 18th February 2008, 20:18

Hi John,
No probs mate, I was up to my neck in it anyway, though I would have got over if at all possible.
Glad you enjoyed the tram. I think it is brilliant.
Paul.
Old 19th February 2008, 14:42

Yes its pretty good just that it could do with more seats ie, extra carrige as was packed out on my return trip.