13:43

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

St Pancras Station.

Old 13th February 2008, 16:58

St Pancras Station.

I was in London at the end of last week, and had the good fortune to go into St Pancras. What an amazing place. I always thought it was an incredible structure but it now has something that I cannot really begin to explain.
I have never been so "gob smacked" in my life over a building.
It is a perfect mixture of the old and the new. In fact it is a perfect answer to anyone who says you cannot re use an old building.
People who obviously had not come on the train into St Pancras where turning up to take photos of the place. I just loved the John Betjeman statue. Everone seemed to be overwhelmed by the building. I bet that was the feeling when it first opened in the 19th century as well.
If you have'nt been to see it, take a trip. I promise you it is well worth it.
Paul.

Old 15th February 2008, 15:09

It certinately looks good from the photos I have seen. I hope this will be the beginning of some great things to come. Bring on the TGVs and ICEs!
Old 15th March 2008, 08:26

I've been "(un)fortunate" enough to drive into the intermediate station (whilst they finished it off) at st pancras I disliked being rained on dispite the roof above! not been in it since its been finished though, the original building is a superb piece of work, very nice.

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 28th March 2008, 05:10

I'm (on the one hand) really pleased that St Pancras Station has found new life (speaking as one who very fondly remembers it of old).

But I'm not sure where we're heading here................

Is this just another European to London Terminal? Or the beginning of a European - Northern England link?

Are we spending all our taxes only to serve the S.E? ...Or the whole Nation?
Old 28th March 2008, 09:59

Well one thing is for sure, it has been a sucessful venture and has done well ever since opening last year. Too bad the same can't be said for the latest airline gateway into the capital
Old 28th March 2008, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
Is this just another European to London Terminal? Or the beginning of a European - Northern England link?
Well speaking geographically I think you have a better chance of connecting Bonny Lancashire to St P than Waterloo
Old 31st March 2008, 07:07

Quote:
I'm (on the one hand) really pleased that St Pancras Station has found new life (speaking as one who very fondly remembers it of old).

But I'm not sure where we're heading here................

Are we spending all our taxes only to serve the S.E? ...Or the whole Nation?
If you think about it st p. is the gateway to the north from europe. There are direct trains to sheffield, and from there, there is no place you can't get to, but also Kings cross and Euston are only a stones throw away. so from that point of view......

equally, a little forethought would have gone a long way, 186mph on the MML??

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 1st May 2008, 02:52

Yes but Shed Cat, I really can't see us folowing the European model of superfast trains everywhere.

The Europeans are building a: Paris.......Berlin........Warsaw........to:....... ..Moscow fast transit system! With a High Speed ICE service. Faster than going to the airport and boarding a plane...

I ask you...Where does that leave us with our 60 miles from London to the SE coast? Our local council planning regs would blank it straight away!..
Old 1st May 2008, 19:06

Quote:
Our local council planning regs would blank it straight away!
I think it is the Nimbys really, especially the rich and influential, who lobby their Local Councillor, who in turn block the plan because they fear loosing their seat, rather than what is best the greater good for their area.

It's called Democracy, I think.
Old 1st May 2008, 20:44
Station Manager

If we do not build a high speed link to Scotland and begin to plan other NEW high speed links in the next ten years we will really miss out on the opportunity to link up with the rest of Europe quickly and efficiently.

Which would you rather do, fight you way through the average airport plus transfers, or sit back and go Intercity on a high speed link?