10:59

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Mansfield and Southwell Railway

Old 2nd December 2014, 14:48

Hi Matt and a warm welcome from me too. I cant shed any light on your photos, as it was well out of my local area of Lincoln at the time. Anyway I hope you enjoy the company on this great forum. Plenty of great guys here.
Hope you get some good shots at Fiskerton and I look forward to seeing them in the gallery if you wish to add them.
All the best
Phil

Old 3rd December 2014, 00:21

Re. the original post. Someone has put forth the theory that the area was prone to flooding and the mystery wall was built to prevent the embankment from moving. Any thoughts? Regards
Old 3rd December 2014, 00:24

Hi Silver Fox Phil, thank you for your welcoming words. Best regards matthudson
Old 3rd December 2014, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthudson View Post
Re. the original post. Someone has put forth the theory that the area was prone to flooding and the mystery wall was built to prevent the embankment from moving. Any thoughts? Regards

That is a possibility Matt but you would also see increase in the size of the cess and side drains too when you get chance poke around a little more and se what you can find in the civil engineering of the area

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:43

Hi Gray, That`s something worth looking into. Will try and call there on way back from Fiskerton on Saturday. Best regards matthudson
Old 3rd December 2014, 22:05

Eakring oil wells and the tanker trains to Scotland were mentioned in an earlier post. I grew up on a farm nearby and we had the "nodding donkeys" scattered around the fields. I can still remember standing at the side of a stationary one and jumping when it suddenly started without warning. Could never figure out whether they were on a timer or had to wait for the reservoir of oil to fill up? Does anyone have info on any of the above? Regards matthudson
Old 9th December 2014, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthudson View Post
Eakring oil wells and the tanker trains to Scotland were mentioned in an earlier post. I grew up on a farm nearby and we had the "nodding donkeys" scattered around the fields. I can still remember standing at the side of a stationary one and jumping when it suddenly started without warning. Could never figure out whether they were on a timer or had to wait for the reservoir of oil to fill up? Does anyone have info on any of the above? Regards matthudson
I used to work in the oilfields years ago. These pumps were common in low presure fields where there were insufficient pressure to send the oil to the surface. In some cases they are also used to bring water to the surface. They were known as a "walking Beam" or American slang as "pumpjacks".
They would often have gas mixed in with the oil, and that could cause issues with the valves not working correctly. So in order to maintain a constant flow of uninterupted oil, valves would separate the oil and the gas would come out of a different pipe at the top of the well. That could be why they stop and restart once the gas pocket has been released.
Hope that helps
Regards
Phil
Old 12th December 2014, 23:40

Hi Phil, thank you for your concise reply re. nodding donkeys. Best regards matthudson