09:18

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

1 year since the world known accident in Saltsjöbaden

Old 15th January 2014, 17:11

1 year since the world known accident in Saltsjöbaden

Today it has gone one year since a train crasched into a house in Saltsjöbaden east of Stockholm.
At first the operator, Arriva, accused a young cleaner, Sara, for stealing the train.
While laying drugged at hospital the police started investigating her, and even searched her home and read her diary for clues. After some days the investigation instead turned towards Arriva, and how the train was parked at the yard, and Sara was no longer a suspect.
So, one year has gone. What I know is that she accidentally, and without knowing it, started the moving of the train, and when she realised that the train had no driver, it was to late to stop it (and as it was dark she could not find the emergency brake) so she took protection and was stuck for two hours with serious injuries.
The investigation by Swedish Accident Investigation Authority is still ongoing but will be public, unlike Arrivas own, as soon as it is finished.

http://www.railwayforum.net/gallery/...ge.php?i=30225

Last edited by Bobjork; 15th January 2014 at 17:16.
Old 15th January 2014, 20:57
Station Manager

Thanks for the update Bobjork. I hope Sara is now well, and that the clears her soon. I'm sure it was just an accident. Anyone who works on a train should be shown and trained in all safety procedures.
Old 15th January 2014, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011 View Post
Thanks for the update Bobjork. I hope Sara is now well, and that the clears her soon. I'm sure it was just an accident. Anyone who works on a train should be shown and trained in all safety procedures.
Yes. She only knew how to turn the lights on. When they made a reconstruction they realized that if you do not know where the emergency brake handles are, you won't find them in the dark. Especially not while in panic...
She is cleared from all suspicion by the police and the prosecutor but still the rumor is there. Like in Stockholm News today where they said "the cleaner that were driving the train"...
Old 15th January 2014, 21:06
Station Manager

"the cleaner that were driving the train"...
Never expect a news paper to give a true account, it does not make for good headlines.
Old 16th January 2014, 09:30

It will be interesting to see the final report.
Richard
Old 16th January 2014, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011 View Post
"the cleaner that were driving the train"...
Never expect a news paper to give a true account, it does not make for good headlines.
Well this was on Stockholmsnytt on P4 Radio Stockholm, public service. At least they don't need to sell anything, they get their money anyway...