16:09

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Crow calls for low fares on railway

Old 23rd November 2005, 23:24
Fat Controller

Crow calls for low fares on railway

The leader of Britain's biggest rail workers' union is to call on the Government to make sure fares are low enough to encourage people to switch from cars to trains.
Bob Crow, general secretary of the Rail Maritime and Transport union, will tell MPs fares on publicly owned railways in Europe were a fraction of those in this country.
Speaking ahead of appearing before the Commons Transport Select Committee, Mr Crow said: "Fares should also be easily understood, but the fragmentation of the industry means that operators offer a bewildering array of structures, and they appear designed more to confuse than enlighten.
"We need a fares and ticketing structure designed to encourage people out of their cars and on to trains and a joined-up transport policy capable of delivering extra capacity to cope with the extra demand.
"Our environment and economy need a growing railway, not a shrinking one, and we need to make rail the number-one choice.
"Bringing all train operations back in-house would not only result in a more coherent railway, but would also put a stop to the leakage of £1 billion of public money out of the industry every year."

Old 27th November 2005, 18:39

I won't hold my breath, infact I seem to have read somewhere that French Railway workers are fighting privatisation plans and if it goes ahead, my guess is it will mean the end of huge subsidies on fares