22:01

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Safer level crossings ?

Old 31st October 2013, 09:48

Safer level crossings ?

Seems Network Rail are getting £32 million to close 500 level crossings and make other more safe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24754358

Old 31st October 2013, 20:50

Yes I read that this morning and wondered where I could find any detail about exactly which level crossings were to be closed. Presumably someone has come up with a list to arrive at the total number but any offers about where any detail might be found?
Old 31st October 2013, 22:28

Looking at the "Leaning Locomotive" thread I stumbled on those videos of street running trains in America. I found them quite amazing. Considering the effort made in this country to keep trains separated from everything else. The line in Tampa Fla. running down what appears to be a newly built main street seems strange; I would have thought they could have isolated the track. It seems to be quite common over there in spite of having plenty of space, unlike the UK's cramped environment.
Was reading about those crossing closures, can't remember where but one was at Bloxwich on the Rugeley to Walsall line.
Old 1st November 2013, 10:14

In my opinion for what it's worth there are no dangerous level crossings it's the idiots that ignore the red lights and warning signs like the woman on the bike in the news recently, people are responsible for their own actions, if they want to put their life in danger that's up to them so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. Two and a half thousand people are killed on the roads in this country every year but I doubt the powers that be will be closing any roads, Britain is enough of a nanny state already, lets not go down that road any further please.
Old 1st November 2013, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbowler View Post
In my opinion for what it's worth there are no dangerous level crossings it's the idiots that ignore the red lights and warning signs like the woman on the bike in the news recently
I absolutely agree. The level crossing at Ufton Nervet near here has unfortunately been in the news after two serious accidents. The first one some years ago was when someone parked their car on the crossing in a (successful) suicide attempt. Tragically it derailed an HST causing much death and injury. This morning's news is that they are planning to replace the crossing with a road bridge but, because of the layout on flat ground there, it's not going to be easy. I've said this ad nauseam but I would have thought an easy quick solution would be to replace all half-barrier crossings with full barriers to deter the idiots you mention.
Old 1st November 2013, 12:21

There was a crossing near me that involves not only a dual track railway, but a tram line running at speed. There have been two occasions where people died, people who, like most folk nowadays are unused to railways, in poor visibiity. They have finally put in a footbridge, which to my mind should have been paid for by the developer of the adhjacent housing estate. There were neither locks nor indicators on the gates nor whistle boards. (which in many cases now, drivers are instructed to ignore at various times)
Old 1st November 2013, 22:07

From their efforts thus far, network rail's idea of making them safer is closing them, but again the Govt needs to take a hard stance on this issue.
Any fatalities on a level crossing is the road users fault. No ifs or buts.
If a train is coming then you have no business being there.
Old 2nd November 2013, 10:21

That's right steam for ever, as I said earlier in a free country people are responsible for their own actions and suffer the consequences for those actions and should not try to blame anyone else.
Old 2nd November 2013, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbowler View Post
In my opinion for what it's worth there are no dangerous level crossings it's the idiots that ignore the red lights and warning signs like the woman on the bike in the news recently, people are responsible for their own actions, if they want to put their life in danger that's up to them so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. Two and a half thousand people are killed on the roads in this country every year but I doubt the powers that be will be closing any roads, Britain is enough of a nanny state already, lets not go down that road any further please.

Got to agree strongly a level crossing is dangerous only if it's used incorrectly

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 2nd November 2013, 16:01

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
From their efforts thus far, network rail's idea of making them safer is closing them, but again the Govt needs to take a hard stance on this issue.
Any fatalities on a level crossing is the road users fault. No ifs or buts.
If a train is coming then you have no business being there.
No quite true.

The RAIB put out a report recently(this year) about a fatality at a crossing where the blame was put squarly on the crossing operator. Apparently the warning lights were not at the correct luminous density and the driver had difficulty in seeing them in bright sunlight and as a result was killed when she failed to see that the barrier was down even though the lights were flashing.
Stuart.

Last edited by D.O.G.F.A.N.; 3rd November 2013 at 09:34.