15:12

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

G'day everyone!

Old 7th January 2006, 10:59

Exclamation G'day everyone!

I think it's about time at least one Aussie participated in the forum. To those in the Northern Hemisphere, I hope the winter is not too cold. Mind you, the temperature in Parramatta (the city I live next door to) topped 45 degrees Celsius on New Year's Day. That is a record summer temperature for Sydneysiders like myself (and yes, Parramatta is one of seven cities which make up the Greater Sydney Metropolitan Area in NSW). Now to the business at hand: (1) If anyone is interested in Australian diesel and electric locomotives, they should look up The Locomotive Page (Locopage), which is located at the address http://locopage.railpage.org.au. LocoPage is a web site dedicated to Australian diesel and electric locomotives, and is one of the most comprehensive web sites on such locomotives. LocoPage provides photographs and technicl specifications for nearly every class of diesel and electric locomotive in all states and territories of Australia. Information on individual locomotives is included, along with comprehensive lists of builders numbers. Locopage also provides an extensive photo gallery of these locomotives. Locopage is a must see web site for any serious gunzel (railfan).
(2) Does any one have any latest information or email transmittable photos for any and each of the following locomotives (a) the EMD Class 66 (EMD model JT42CWR (UK) and/or JT42CWRM (Europe)) diesel-electric locomotives, (b) the Vossloh series G 2000 BB diesel-hydraulic locomotives, (c) the Siemens Dispolok ER 20 'EuroRunner' diesel-electric locomotives, and/or (d) the Bombardier/GE 'Blue Tiger' locomotive series. Any replies can be posted on this forum or emailed to [email protected]. Many Thanks in Advance.

Old 7th January 2006, 19:48
Station Manager

Greetings Philip and welcome to the site. Is there any site for Aussie Garratts. I can see from your post that you are a diesel-electric fan but as an ex-Rhodesian Railway footplate man I am a Garratt fan.
Thanks in advance if you are able to point me to the right sites.
DSY011
Old 7th January 2006, 20:28

Hello Phillip welcome to the forum I hope you enjoy the site and feel free to post topics
Regards
Jim
Old 10th January 2006, 14:27

Exclamation Message to DSY011

If you want to see a decent Beyer-Garratt (i.e. one with a 4-8-4+4-8-4 wheel arrangement, than log onto the website for the NSW Rail Transport Museum at http://www.nswrtm.org/exhibits/steam_locos.html, and look up 6040, the last member of the AD60 freight locomotive class and the last steam locomotive placed into service in NSW. A photograph of 6040 dating from June 1963 is available at http://www.nswrtm.org - NSWRTM - 6040 as well. Happy viewing!
Old 11th January 2006, 19:23
Station Manager

Thanks Phillip, I have saved both websites and will have a look as soon as I have read yesterdays and todays posting.
DSY011
Old 14th January 2006, 05:07

Exclamation 2nd Message to DSY011

I have a challenge for you, if you are prepared to aceept it. The challenge to to contact both the Queensland and Western Australian (WA) Divisions of the Australian Railway Historical Society (ARHS), and search for the "Australian Standard Garratt" (ASG). Whilst the previously mentioned class AD60 Beyer-Garratt locomotive in NSW was a standard gauge (1,435 mm) locomotive, the ASG was a narrow gauge (1,076 mm) Beyer-Garratt of a standard design which was used in both Queensland and WA during and after World War 2, and may have had some features similar to the Garratts you previously drove.

Happy Hunting, Philip Parks
Old 14th January 2006, 16:15
Station Manager

Thanks again Philip, I will contact them and see what I can learn from them.
I have yet to find any other Ex Rhodesian Railway mbr. on this or any other site. and as I am unable to get any reply from the Zimbabwe National Railway I have to rely on books for information. Your Australian sites may be able to help. Thanks Again.
DSY011
Old 14th January 2006, 22:44

Hi there Philip, and welcome to the board.

This is a good site, just starting to take off I reckon. Post often and I'll try not to mention the Ashes.
Old 14th January 2006, 23:32
Station Manager

Philip
The ARHS has some great rail video shots. So busy looking at them that I have only looked at one of the Garratt photo galleries.
Anyone wanting to have a look ak some Australian rolling stock of both old and moden, then go to http://www.arhsnsw.com.au/portal.htm There are lots of links as well.
DSY011
Old 15th January 2006, 12:06

Exclamation Messages to DSY011 and Trev:

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your replies. I hope that I have been of some help to DSY011 in his hunting of Beyer-Garratts. As for the Ashes Trev, I am really not fussed at all about the Ashes, so you can mention them as often as you please! Referring to my 2nd question on my first "G'ay" posting however, any new information on the Class 66 Diesal-Electric locomotives would be welcome. It will be interesting to see when Class 66 gains approval to operate in France (in particular), Italy and the Czech Republic, notwithstanding the fact that the "Sheds" already have approval to operate in 9 European Union countries. The PDF.file Fact Sheet which is available in 5 languages at the EMD website http://www.gmemd.com/en/locomotive/i...ional/jt42cwrm for Class 66 (known as model JT42CWRM, with the "M" standing for "modified"), lists the 9 EU countries (including the UK) where Class 66 can operate. Many Thanks in Advance, Philip Parks.

Last edited by Philip Parks; 15th January 2006 at 12:10.