16:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

So, what got you interested in railways?

Old 26th March 2013, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvBuzz View Post
Strange really, I am the only one in my family (as far as I know) that is interested in trains. Just always loved the sound, speed and size of the fantastic machines and I love the fact that whatever train you see, where ever and at what ever speed, it won't disappoint!
Welcome to the forum Harvbuzz, hope you enjoy the company on here.
All the best
Phil

Old 27th March 2013, 01:41

Gwili steam railway.. my grandad's house used to back on to the tracks, even used to go down there on static days and ride in the cabs of the trains, even to the point of getting to have a go with one one day!

..I guess I should look into working as a driver... seeing as I love the idea of trains, and used to work at the Reading TMD on the 165/166's...

http://www.youtube.com/Nitestrider
Old 18th June 2013, 22:46

Smile how i got into trains

My dad used to live near the mainline to Derby when he was a lad and collected coal that fell out the trucks. He then went spotting at Derby Station. This was in the early '60s so he still saw steamers. As a kid we'd go for walks up the village and watch the trains from the bridge.As i got older i didn't care much for them as i liked Mod music and going out aged 18. Later in my mid 20's i joined the railway as a trolley dolly but became a guard. I loved the freedom of the job and my passion was born...now im a nedder into diesel traction going to galas and festivals. I meet lots of nice folk but they cant believe a woman actually likes trains!!!
Old 19th June 2013, 22:02

Hi Baglet55 and a warm welcome to the forum. You have hit a good spot here as we are a real friendly bunch. Lots of knowledge too if needed. Anyway there are a few women on here I believe so its not so unusual. I have also seen a few women working on the footplate on the heritage scene so they are about, and why not as long as you are happy with your hobby.
Look forward to seeing your posts and have fun.
All the best
Phil
Old 23rd November 2013, 22:51

ll want to see is the engine of my choice, with a lot of wagons/carriages (also of my choice) steaming from one place to another (my choice, again).
Yours aye
Peter Feiler
Old 29th November 2013, 12:08

Mine comes from working for a company at old oak common watching the steam trains on the turntable right next to where I worked awesome sight
Old 27th April 2014, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
We've all been through it, the fascination with steel wheels on steel rails. The interest might fade a bit as girls and beer take their hold in our teens, but we all came back to the hobby. We must've done, or you wouldn't be reading this!

So, what was it that got you interested in railways?
Hi. As a child watching LMS Push and Pull Trains along bottom of garden (Romford Upminster Line) - age 5-6+. At Junior school collecting all Sections engine numbers at the Main Line Stations etc. Was a Fireman at Stratford Loco in late 40's early 50's. Still keen but all seen on DVD or in books now. Steamfan.
Old 24th May 2014, 13:10

railway pictures and post cards

hi i have large collection of over 150 old steam trains and shunter pictures and postcards which i would like to sell to some1 who would enjoy them please message back if you are interested thanks dan.
Old 23rd November 2015, 15:43

First interest

My secondary school (which I started in 1959) overlooked the East end of Edinburgh's Waverley station. I was curious about the number of pupils, who would cross the road to look over the railings when school closed in the afternoon.
I found out this was to see the arrival of the A4 hauled 'Elizabethan' non-stop express from Kings Cross.
I too, was soon hooked!
Old 23rd November 2015, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7rud View Post
My secondary school (which I started in 1959) overlooked the East end of Edinburgh's Waverley station. I was curious about the number of pupils, who would cross the road to look over the railings when school closed in the afternoon.
I found out this was to see the arrival of the A4 hauled 'Elizabethan' non-stop express from Kings Cross.
I too, was soon hooked!
That must have been amazing! And now the Waverley section is reinstated!