14:08

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Looking for info about type of loco

Old 29th January 2018, 20:18

Looking for info about type of loco

Good evening, I've just joined . My interest in trains goes back years. I travelled to school by train, my earliest ambition was to be an engine driver; I ended up as an aeronautical engineer.

I'm in the process of developing some cartoons about the Delph Donkey (Oldham to Delph in Saddleworth line). Can anybody please identify the type of engine shown in the attached?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRAVELLING BY RAIL IN SADDLEWORTH.jpg (59.2 KB, 22 views)

Old 29th January 2018, 21:09

It looks like a Peckett 0-6-0ST to me, probably quite an early example. It has the trademark dome/safety valves arrangement & it certainly looks like a Peckett Worksplate. There were some early Peckett 0-6-0STs used on the Manchester Ship Canal system (and elsewhere), but I'm not sure of any connection to the Oldham area.
As for which individual loco it is, I can't give any more of an insight unfortunately.
I could be wrong of course!

Tony
Old 29th January 2018, 21:33

The engine in the photo is a Lancashire & Yorkshire 0-6-0 saddle tank. It predates the Class 23, probably built at Miles Platting under the Superintendent William Jenkins. By the small size of the wheels it appears to be one of the batch of 11 built between 1855 and 1877. I have not been able to find any photographs of this class but the Class 23 saddle tank does not extend to the front of the smokebox as in this loco.
Old 30th January 2018, 07:47

Type of loco - many thanks

Many thanks to Tony and TRP for their information. I will contact our local museum to see ff they have any photos.