17:57

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

manchester metrolink

Old 29th March 2010, 21:36

They're smoother than the old trams, but still a wobbly ride over the BR sections, but as is the nature of light rail vehicles I guess.

I think the main reason they're so much smoother and quieter though is probably a lot to do with the fact they don't have severe and completely ignored wheelflats yet.

Old 29th March 2010, 22:16

was in victoria today at 6pm on a busy platform,was hoping that a new tram wouldnt turn up as they are tiny compared to the older units,what a difference from a few months ago-i was bashing them whenever i could,suppose they will be doubled up tho as more units enter service,find them smooth enough tho.
Old 30th March 2010, 06:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by faltskog36abba View Post
was in victoria today at 6pm on a busy platform,was hoping that a new tram wouldnt turn up as they are tiny compared to the older units,what a difference from a few months ago-i was bashing them whenever i could,suppose they will be doubled up tho as more units enter service,find them smooth enough tho.
They are actually a lot larger inside.

The old trams have less room to stand due to having a lot more seating, plus smaller roof space, the new trams are not only mathmatically larger in dimension internally, of identical dimension externally, but they just feel bigger too?

Crammed trams feel better on the new ones anyway to me.
Old 30th March 2010, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
I like that.
It is often done with such precision as well. Thinking about it you don't see hoodies bringing down an entire network in 20 minutes UNOTICED do you?

On saturday I saw a sign in piccadilly gardens. It said " a better metrolink is comming"
Underneath someone had written "When?"

The new trams are very bumpy. This has not been adressed, perhaps for the reason of putting passengers on buses.
They also violenlty shake on the in and Out bound lines from Victoria.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:23

It is at its worst I think in heaton park tunnel.

There is the Navigation road bottle neck which is an enourmous problem for train and tram. If you ask me you need four platforms at that station too. Until then neither metrolink or mid cheshire line services can reach their full potential.

By the way I did here about planned Northern services that would terminate at Altrincham. Platform 2 is little used, so could pointwork be altered to allow trams and trains to use it?
Realistically it is never going to be used as much as platform one for trams and for trains to terminate in three and four would create congestion. To be honest Metrolink have never needed that platform. Even when the canopy on one was repaired there is enough space before the canopy starts to still have trams running into that platform.
Old 8th April 2010, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by faltskog36abba View Post
any idea what the frequency will be on the oldham,chorlton,droylsden lines?

I can tell you that between Manchester Vic and Shaw it is 6 mins, and every 2 of those will head to Rochdale (12 mins frequency)
Old 8th April 2010, 20:26

The reason they are smoother on the city sections but rougher at high speed than the older ones is im told because the older ones had air suspension (also used for doors and brakes) the newer ones dont use compressed air technology and instead have mechanical suspension. Since this was found to be insufficent from unit 3010 on their supposed to be delivered fitted with additional dampeners and dampeners will be retrofitted to the first 9 eventually.
Old 8th April 2010, 21:04

Indeed yes, knowing the average passenger (a beer belly who gorges on curry) things wo'nt go down too well if you catch my drift!
Old 9th April 2010, 10:05

The older ones seem just as ruff though :s
Old 18th April 2010, 21:53

i posted a few weeks ago that i thought the new trams were smooth enough,how wrong i was,when i sent that post i went from victoria to crumpsall and indeed it felt smooth,however i caught the tram from heaton park to victoria today,it wobbled through heaton park tunnel,then from bowker vale to crumpsall,then near the depot at queens road and finally on entering victoria,think it feels worser when standing[as is the case when i use these trams as there is never a seat].