19:28

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Princess Elizabeth

Old 13th November 2012, 21:54

Princess Elizabeth

Hello, I am a new member. I am looking for information on photographic locations for this Saturday's trip of Lizzie from Carnforth to Carlisle. Can anyone help me find a non trespassing position to take photos of this steam train on one of it's last trips before boiler ticket runs out. Many thanks in advance. Richard Sharp.

Old 13th November 2012, 22:09
Station Manager

Hello Richard and welcome to the Railway Forum. Sorry but I don't know that area at all so am unable to help you. There are a lot of members on this site who will be able to advise you. You should have some answers soon.
Old 13th November 2012, 22:19
Station Manager

Hello Richard and welcome to the forum, you could try Carnforth station, I can not be there myself but it is one of my favourite places to photograph steam. Good luck and all the best.
Old 13th November 2012, 22:26
Registered Member

Hello Richard and welcome to the Railway Forum.
Old 14th November 2012, 06:13

There is a popular location on the climb to Shap Summit, called Scout Green, which is I believe on the A6, running parallel to the WCML for some distance. Leave the M6 at Tebay, J38 and head north on the A6. I can't help you further, but I'm sure one of our members from Cumbria will be along soon.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:12

Hello Richard:
Oxenholme station is a good place. She comes around a bend into the station. I fancy there will be a fair turnout though.
She travels up on Friday leaving Tyseley at 10.55am and arrives Carnforth WCRC at 16.05pm.I tend to catch her at Old Alder Lane, Winwick or Golborne.
Good Luck.
Stuart.
Old 14th November 2012, 20:18

Hi Richard and a warm welcome from me too. Hope you enjoy the best forum by far! Lots of good stuff on here and everyone is dead helpful and friendly. If you manage some photos of Lizzy I would like to see them on here if you have a mind to share them.
Many thanks and good luck
Phil
Old 14th November 2012, 21:38

Hello and welcome to the forum. Suggested photographic sites for 6201 on Saturday, Greenholme, Scout Green or Salterwath, to get to these by road leave M6 at Jct 38 (Tebay) , on leaving the motorway at the roundabout take the road to the left, the B6260 (signed Appleby) for about 5 miles to a place called Orton, bear left onto the B6261 signed for Shap after about a mile you will come to a four road junction, the signpost will show you the road for Greenholme or Scout Green whilst the other road will show Shap (B6261) if you want Salterwath follow this for about 4 miles and you will see a sign for Saterwath.
If you want to see photos from any of these places check my Gallery.
Happy shooting and all the best.

Davat.
Old 22nd November 2012, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by davat View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum. Suggested photographic sites for 6201 on Saturday, Greenholme, Scout Green or Salterwath, to get to these by road leave M6 at Jct 38 (Tebay) , on leaving the motorway at the roundabout take the road to the left, the B6260 (signed Appleby) for about 5 miles to a place called Orton, bear left onto the B6261 signed for Shap after about a mile you will come to a four road junction, the signpost will show you the road for Greenholme or Scout Green whilst the other road will show Shap (B6261) if you want Salterwath follow this for about 4 miles and you will see a sign for Saterwath.
If you want to see photos from any of these places check my Gallery.
Happy shooting and all the best.

Davat.
Hi Davat, apologies for lateness of reply. Thank you for your infor regarding last Saturday. Following your info I went to Scout Green to see 6201. Great location as you can see the train coming for at least a mile. Amazed how many people were at Scout Green. Also went to Appleby station to see Lizzie at a water stop. Many thanks once again. Will use this location the next time I come up north. Richard Sharp
Old 22nd November 2012, 22:04

I was at Scout Green in the morning and then went to Appleby Station to see some of my friends, I was in the little shop for quite some time, before I went out beyond Culgaith to see her on the return.
I'm glad the information was helpful to you. I have lived in this area for over 70 years and worked on the railway in this area having been out photographingfor many years I have shots of the APT amongst other old ones.
All the best:- David.