15:45

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Makerfield, my 1970s North West UK layout

Old 21st July 2008, 20:28

I wonder now about a gas works because I had forgotten your late 1970's theme. We were all converted to natural gas by then, so apart from a gasholder there wouldn't be a need for sidings of coal trucks and a little industrial shunter or two.

I like the idea of a dog track, or even a small stand and a scruffy pitch for those permanent residents of the Fouth Division - "Makerfield Wanderers"

Old 21st July 2008, 20:55

Unibond Premier actually. And not exactly in pole position for the coming season either.

(click)

http://www.clockworkcommunications.co.uk/league.jpg

Old 21st July 2008, 20:59

I'm leaning towards the idea of a gas works though, I know it's not the most original, but I wasn't thinking of rail-served, just a few dilapidated buildings & tanks. There's still one on the way into Warrington (it was famously hit by the IRA in 1993 as it happens) complete with run-down social club etc. I can't resist a bit more urban industrial, sorry...
Old 21st July 2008, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by meurglysIII View Post
................There's still one on the way into Warrington (it was famously hit by the IRA in 1993 as it happens) complete with run-down social club etc. I can't resist a bit more urban industrial, sorry...
I walked past that social club the other day. They don't make 'em like that anymore
Old 1st December 2008, 21:48

"Progress"

another busy year approaches its end, the modelling has been slow but steady. I've still not settled on a theme for the front area, but am now at the stage where I need to get it started. Here's the latest stuff.

A class 24 emerges from under yet another road bridge;
(this one forms the break between the newly extended sorting yard and the scenic part of the layout)
http://www.clockworkcommunications.c...c/DSCF2579.JPG

The road deck of the aforementioned bridge:
http://www.clockworkcommunications.c...c/DSCF2582.JPG
(I'm looking into some printed backscenes, the ones from International models look okay - of course I should have done the backscenes first, not last. I can see it being problematic trying to retro-fit...)

Yard lights added to the diesel depot:
http://www.clockworkcommunications.c...c/DSCF2583.JPG

The posts on these were too short for my liking, so I tried to extend them with plastic tubing but made a bit of a mess of it, & they're not straight. So a bit more work needed...

... suppose I'll have to tackle that foreground area now.
Old 1st December 2008, 22:16
Station Manager

I still think a run down old gas works would work well in the foreground Pete. I like the lights, they look old and battered on the photo, but then a photo does not always show the whole story. You can see them in a better light and at different angles to what I see in the photo. I think the whole model is looking very good. Thanks for the updates.
Old 1st December 2008, 22:29

Nice work Pete.
I know I was originally in favour of a playing field but I'm also erring on the side of a gasworks now. There would certainly be plenty of interesting detail for you to get stuck in to.
Old 2nd December 2008, 10:17

Think if you have playing fields, how often you'd be mowing lawns (ok if you have ride on mower)

Seth
Old 3rd December 2008, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by meurglysIII View Post
The posts on these were too short for my liking, so I tried to extend them with plastic tubing but made a bit of a mess of it, & they're not straight. So a bit more work needed...
I'm not so sure, I wonder how many yard lampposts were a bit wonky in real-life. So it looks better if things are not quite perfect. The pole leaning over is probably better than banana shaped though.

(Great to have an update from your layout construction)
Old 4th December 2008, 08:51

Thinking on about the foreground bit, I've realised that I will need to reach across it to clean the track, and perform any other bits of maintenance, so tall buildings or lots of detail would be a bad idea as they would get snagged on my jumper sleeve, with the enevitable cursing to follow.

I'm now thinking about maybe a garage (mechanic's type) with interior detail & lighting etc. to the right of the footbridge, and a field to the left, which would give my niece Daisy somewhere to put the plastic cows when she's here (they usually get taken for rides in open wagons).

As this is the last major bit of space I have left to fill, I want to savour it really & get it right. Oh the pressure!

These are the things that keep me awake at night..........

I still haven't addressed the signalling issue though. Would anyone be able to tell me what signals I need and where to position them? I got the book mentioned earlier in the thread, but to be honest it's beyond me.

Pete