15:39

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Midland Compound Query

Old 4th April 2011, 17:06

Smile Midland Compound Query

Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all well. I was wondering if anyone's knowledge may be able to help me. I am doing some research at the moment and need to know what a first and third carriage interior would have looked like on a Midland Compound from 1914?

I know that NRM at York has number 1000 but i cant find any images of inside the carriages themselves, unfortunately i am too far away and wont get the chance to visit the museum myself.

If anyone could offer any help at all it would be very much appreciated!

Many Thanks for your time

Karen

Old 4th April 2011, 19:15

Hello Karen and a warm welcome to the forum. I'm afraid that the journey may be rather more than to York, excellent tho' that museum may be they are totally put into the shade by the museum at the home of the Midland Railway, namely Derby. The following link will get you started http://www.midlandrailwaystudycentre.org.uk/ Good luck with your quest.

Regards, 62440.
Old 4th April 2011, 20:52

I'm a bit confused. Number 1000 was/is a compound locomotive . That is it had one high pressure cylinder followed by two low pressuire cylinders in an attempt to improve efficiency.

However the word for a coach with both first and third accomodation is a composite

There are a series of books about LMS coaches by David Jenkinson and Bob Essery, which carried on MIdland design for a time.

The LMS Carriage Association may also be helpful.

http://www.lmsca.org.uk/links/carriage-preservation.php
Old 5th April 2011, 06:36

Hi!
There are two books by R.E. Lacy and George Dow on Midland carriages and one by David Jenkinson and Bob Essery which may be of some assistance.
Old 5th April 2011, 08:18
Station Manager

Welcome to The Forum Karen.

I find your question a bit confusing. Are you asking about Midland Coaches or about The Locomotive 1000: The Midland Compound?

I understand that 1000 is due to move up to The Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway in the near future, so it will be much nearer to you!

The books mentioned above will be helpful for more information on Midland Coaches and 1000 is well documented in "An Illustrated Review of Midland Locomotives" Vol. 2 by R.J. Essery and D. Jenkinson and "Midland Railway Locomotives" Vol 4 by Stephen Summerson.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.