01:08

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Turbo v Sprinter

Old 16th March 2012, 20:28

Turbo v Sprinter

Today I went to Basingstoke and back from Reading. It's a journey I haven't done for some weeks now and because more passengers are using the trains (good news) they've increased the capacity (also good news). Normally 2 coach Class 165 Turbos were used but these have been displaced to provide extra capacity on Paddington services apparently. Today the "new" 3 coach train that arrived was 'Sprinter' unit no. 150 001. I realised I hadn't been in one for years. The seats are just as cramped - but obviously better than standing - and the acceleration is noticeably better but I found the ride on that line much worse than the Turbos.

Old 18th March 2012, 19:57

Sorrry Ian noone seems to have taken this up. I would have thought there were some suburban commuters with experienc of both. I don't think I been on a turbo train so I can't comment. Have had plenty of rides on classs 150 particularly Exmouth to Barnstaple or Paignton. I saw 150239 on Paignton station this afternoon. Very glad though that the `142s have gone back up north.