22:44

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Southern Trains Running through Charing Cross 1940

Old 16th March 2014, 14:14

Southern Trains Running through Charing Cross 1940

Hi everyone!

This my first post on the forum so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section of the forum.

I have just started a little project that involves recreating the interior of a train carriage that would have been running south from Charing Cross Station during the year 1940.

So far I have found two carriages that I think would be appropriate, these are the ones currently held at the Bluebell Railway, the Maunsell Open Third's that were built in the mid 1930's.

Im trying to find out for sure that these carriages would have run through Charing Cross during the year 1940 and It would be great to find out if there were any other styles of carriage that would have run that route.

For example if there was a 'corridor composite' style carriage that ran on this route then I would prefer to use that for my project.

Can any one suggest some good resources or books for me to look up that might detail the interior layout and dimensions of passenger carriages from the 1930's?

I have found the National Railway Museum in York and plan to go there soon, but it would be great to get a head start before I head up there.

Old 17th March 2014, 20:35

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I can't help you with any hard facts I'm afraid. Although I have driven trains out of Charing Cross it was 60 years later than the period you're interested in (and for Connex rather than the Southern) !

You've already mentioned the Bluebell Line. They're the 'Mecca' for all things Southern, so I suggest you speak to them directly. They're bound to have someone who knows - and possibly photos of interiors as well.

And finally just a little niggling point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernenthusiast
Im trying to find out for sure that these carriages would have run through Charing Cross.....
Charing Cross is a terminus - therefor trains run into and out of it, but hopefully never through it. I'm not saying this to be pedantic, rather that people may be more inclined to help you if you speak their language.

Anyway best wishes & good luck in your quest, BW
Old 19th March 2014, 09:47

Thanks for the reply BW.

Its good to know I am heading in the correct direction with the Bluebell Railway. I have contacted them and they have been very helpful so far.

Apologies for the wrong terminology with the terminus. I initially was looking into trains departing from London Bridge and my brain was still at that station even though I am now looking at Charing Cross.

Thanks again for your help!

I will let you know how I get on with the project.

Tags
1940s, southerntrains