23:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

Vertical boiler Paddy.

Old 24th December 2013, 16:07

Smile Vertical boiler Paddy.

Dave Potter's vertical boiler engine Paddy, which is based at Amerton, is now in the workshop going through its 10yr boiler tests.
The boiler has already been stripped down,descaled cleaned, and rust neutralised, the first test to be carried out by the boiler inspector was to test the thickness of the metal, this was satisfactory.
The boiler will then be hydraulically pressure tested, if successful, it will be followed by a steam test. Dave is also taking the opportunity to repaint Paddy.

Old 25th December 2013, 08:14

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
I hope all goes well with the overhaul, it's a nice little engine. I came across Paddy fior the first time this summer when it visited Threlkeld Mining Museum near Keswick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Threlkeld (15).jpg (222.7 KB, 23 views)

KEN
Old 22nd March 2014, 10:25

Smile

Paddy passed the hydraulic pressure test on the 19.03.14, all boiler fittings are replaced with plugs and blanks, the boiler is then filled completely with water, pressure is then applied via a manual water pressure pump, the pressure must be held for at least 20 mins.with no more than a 10% drop.
The main steam pipe, injector, safety valve, regulator, water pump, whistle, and any other fitting's are then re-installed ready for the steam test next week, this will include any adjustments to the safety valve, Paddy will then be ready for service. I hope i haven't sent you all to sleep!!
Old 22nd March 2014, 13:01

That update wasn't the least soporific, thanks for the info and good luck with the steam test next week.
Old 15th April 2014, 18:20

Smile

Paddy has passed the steam test, boiler cladding fitted, a new coat of paint, and has departed Amerton to attend a steam gala in Belgium!!